PDA

View Full Version : radiator flushing

89accord_lxi_coupe
04-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Hey fellas,
I need to flush my radiator.....bad. Yes, I've printed the how-to and have been going over it. What I need now is to hear from those who have done it. What do I need to watch out for and any other tips. When you do this (flushing radiator) is there any fluid you need to catch, such as radiator fluid? What places can you take that stuff to to get rid of it safely? Thanks for the input, I'll be back later to see what you say.

-Nolan

Tref_LXI
04-13-2003, 05:44 AM
Just make sure you get it all into a bowl or your animals might die from injesting it.

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Yeah, the point of flushing the radiator is flushing the system clear of all the old fluid, and replacing it with new fluid. The fluid must be stored and returned to a recycling facility, or a local automotive store.

Here's a more helpful guide:

http://www.whtc.com/shared/auto/tutorials/flushradiator.html

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 08:40 AM
be sure that the fluid won't go on the ignitor , distributer , starter ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!! cover everything carefully !
must be done when engine hot ! so don't intend to screw it in with your hands ! use pilars !
read the how to carefully and if you don't understand something ask first !
good luck ! :)

MIKE

89accord_lxi_coupe
04-13-2003, 09:39 AM
ok, well I've read and printed the how-to that IWLSF referred me to. though i have to say, in it they recommend doing it with cold engine. why do it with a hot one, unless i wanna get hurt. anyway, thanks for the advice. when i do this, is it absolutely necessary that i jack the car up to get to the petcock? I've only got one floor jack and no jackstands, but anyway I digress. thanks for any further input.

-Nolan

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Mine needed flushing bad too, rusty. My water pump started leaking, so when I replaced it I remembered one of the Mods. ( Jim, Jared ???) had described flushing, then backflushing after removing the drain bolt on the block. Worked great! Try doing a search for it. The drain bolt is just below the #4 plug, Bolt has a funny head, 17mm I think, but it was about 1/2 long.

-Steve

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 03:17 PM
cold ??? not sure about that ! but all i know is that once teh coolant is hot the thermostat is open and you can flush out the whole system ( not leaving anything behind ) not sure if this is the case in our honda ! so i do it when hot !

MIKE

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-13-2003, 04:04 PM
D'oh.. I forgot , I pulled the T/s out first and replaced housing. Also moved heater control to hot. That's how i was able to do it cold, then put a new T/S in.

-Steve

* Edit * - I did a search and it was dj99 and doug that posted the info... Here's the link:

Rusty coolant (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903&highlight=Radiator+flush)