PDA

View Full Version : freon in the eyes

Tref_LXI
04-13-2003, 05:39 AM
My dad about two weeks ago when we were taking the engine out to put in a new one thought it would be a good idea to disconnect a ac hose and it shot some freon on his face. Looked a lot like "man juice" and i laughed my ass off, but now im thinking if it had any effect on my cars ac. Do i just open the hose up again and poor in some freon or what?

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Holy Shit!! Your dad is incredibly fortunate that liquid didn't get in his eyes!! Even on his skin there's a good chance of frostbite. Maybe it was mostly foamy oil, bubbles as the ref boils out. Either way the stuff is hazardous/toxic.
No, you can't just pour some in, it's a pressurized gas or liquid, and tranfers from container to system via a hose.

-Steve

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 06:50 AM
I wouldnt do it yourself. AC work is something that you cannot do without a license or you can be heavily fined. Topping off a system is something that is very inaccurate as well, and it would just be easier to go to a shop and let them recharge the system. I doubt you lost much freon anyway if it was only for a few seconds, the system should still be fine.

Tref_LXI
04-13-2003, 07:11 AM
it was about half a cup of freon, he had glasses on heh

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 08:44 AM
half glass of freon ??? was it liquid ! ! ??
anyway unhooking the system means >
test for leaks > system evacuation > compressor oil refill > freon charge .
if you leave the system open for several days > you'll need to replace the dryer which takes moisture out of the system !

MIKE