PDA

View Full Version : Hand brake knob and gear stick ring removal

Rick
04-13-2003, 05:40 AM
Tell me people how I can remove the chrome ring in my (manual) gear stick for a repaint. I was thinking of painting it red (car color).

I also need to know how to remove the knob in the hand brake. How do I remove it? I have to repaint it too.

Here's a pic so you'll know better what I mean:

http://users.kymp.net/dsl1109d/removal.jpg

Please tell me how to remove those things. There's not much chrome left so I gotta paint them.

IMWezel
04-13-2003, 06:31 AM
- First you have to remove the plastic console.
- unscrew the bracket/metal ring that keeps the leather gear stick cover in place
- Then you can simply unscrew the shift knob from the stick. and seperate the knob and chrome ring.

The handbrake;
- After removing the console, you can easily remove the handbrakegrip from the handbrake
- then you can paint the crome knob

For what I know it's not possible to get the knob out of the handbrake, cause it's part of the mechanisme. Taking it apart wont be the biggest problem, but putting it together is quite difficult (read: impossible ;) ).

It's not a difficult job, de most time wil go into figuring out what parts of the console you have to remove and how you have to remove them.
The best way is first remove the cassette/cd holder and then work you way backwards; shiftgearcover and then handbrake cover.

A last warning, be aware of that brackett/metal ring that holds the leather in place, it's got some sharp edges.

86AccordLxi
04-13-2003, 10:47 AM
It is possible to remove the knob from the handbrake, but it's difficult today. I'm almost positive that it just screws on and off, but it's a bitch to do and you will probably mess it up when you use pliers etc.

Alex

MrBen
04-13-2003, 03:28 PM
The shifter handle has a tie wrap thing under the bag portion of it, securing it to the bag. Cut this, and it comes right off.

Just tape around the handbrake button and paint the mofo. I wouldn't take it off, that handbrake mechanism is one angry bitch.

MrBen
04-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Oh, also, Honda has a recall for your seatbelt buttons. You should go get that taken care of; it doesn't look like you have them.

danronian
04-14-2003, 07:49 PM
My seatbelt buttons look the same as his, what's this recall about?