PDA

View Full Version : Coolant overflows at reservoir

b&t88accordlx
04-13-2003, 02:22 PM
:confused:
This is what's happening.....

I filled the coolant reservoir up when it's cold to the"max" line just before my 200m trip home. The temp guage read it's normal position all the way to a rest area (an hour or so later) where I got out and it was fine, no spillage. When I came back 5 min. later, the reservoir was leaking at the top. I got underway again without adding any coolant. The temp guage read the same. I stopped to eat (an hour and a half later) and it was no longer overflowing.

I had to replace the tstat 2 weeks ago with one from the parts store. I let it run 45min to make sure the fans came on with no leaks. I noticed the the opening on it is smaller than o.e.m.

Would the opening make any difference? It's a 195d tstat. Should I go back to an o.e.m. tstat?

OldSchoolSwap
04-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Keep a very close eye on your temp gauge and make sure the fans are turning on.
The water reservoir cannot be filled to the top, it has a limit mark for filling up. If your limit is passed, over spillage may happen.

How ever, your case is a bit diffrent. Boiling of your reservoir can indicate multiple things such as over heating due to locked or in your case a smaller thermostate than stock specs (id get OEM, its about $12 anyway).
It could be multiple issues like i said, bad fans, water pump not ciculating the water properly, blown head gasket and leaking. But i don't want to alarm you with all these negative "vibes" :D

i'd say, change the stat for a stock one and see what happens.

dj99
04-14-2003, 06:40 AM
You should also get a new radiator cap when you change your t-stat. They are designed to release the radiator's coolant at a certain pressure point into the reservoir, and can wear out over time.

BTW, when I changed my t-stat, I used an aftermarket one rated for 180 degrees. Maybe the 195 one lets your coolant get too hot and create more pressure?

POS carb
04-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I second those opinions.
1st change the cap that should solve the overflow prob.
I have a lower temp t-stat in the housing, that's hot enough in my opininon. Oh and lower temp = more HP so technically it's a hp mod (like .2hp lol :))

OldSchoolSwap
04-14-2003, 04:06 PM
PFFFTTTT at POS "HP" hehe...
but yeah, the radiator cap is a good point. flew right by me.

b&t88accordlx
04-14-2003, 07:29 PM
:cool:

Thanks all....I'll switch out the stat and cap sometime this week and be back w/ info!

b&t88accordlx
05-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Well, I changed the stat out to oem and it's back to it's normal self. I haven't changed out the cap, either.

Thanks for all the help!
:super: