PDA

View Full Version : trany leak

Elijah
04-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi this is Elijahs wife again he still isnt back yet and I need help!
I lent out my car and they bottomed it out and now it is leaking trany fluid really fast! do you think I need a new trant or a trany pan? And if I use stop leak do you think it will work?

86AccordLxi
04-13-2003, 07:03 PM
It could be just an axle seal which costs about $200 to have done.

Alex

Elijah
04-13-2003, 08:58 PM
but if I drive it for now and keep putting in tranny fluid will it be okay? Where do I take it to get it checked and fixed in Edmonton? Canadian Tire?

SiR
04-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Anywhere should be able to check it. Im guessing its an automatic. You can drive, as long as you can see it drip a little bit, not a water fall of fluid. It might be on of the bolts on the tranny is loose and just needs to be tighten back up. Can you give a location on where its leaking on the tranny?

OldSchoolSwap
04-13-2003, 09:32 PM
there is no pan for the tranny, its all one assembly. Its eather cracked and leaking like hell or the oil pan might have gotten dinged and leaking as well if it was "bottomed out". Make sure your oil level is ok.

If indeed it is your tranny oil, i would suspect one of the oil seals that the axles cover.

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 05:09 AM
if you botomed it like you said i would suspect the oil pan ( engine oil ) more than the tranny !

MIKE

Elijah
04-14-2003, 09:38 AM
no its the tranny when you park it for a few days and then go to drive it again it wont even go into gear until you put 2 bottles into it. The oil is good no leak there after you park the car it has a big puddle of pink fluid!

Elijah
04-14-2003, 09:39 AM
sorry yeah its automatic. The person who bottomed it out was driving on a flat tire and went over a huge speed bump and the whole underneath got dragged for a foot and a half

Elijah
04-14-2003, 09:42 AM
I will get some one to jack it up today and look for the leak. Then maybe we will be more clear on what is leaking so you guys can help me fix it.

OldSchoolSwap
04-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Good! take pics if you can :)

Elijah
04-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Okay that car is stuck in the mud and the tranny is so screwed that it has no reverse! Plus when you put it in gear any gear it starts grinding constantly and smokes like crazy! I think I need a whole new tranny! Scre this car I am selling it! I tried to pur fluid in it but its not helping it. Thabks for your help though. Is $200 a good deal for someone to take out my tranny from a smashed car and put it in this one? The guy lives on a native reserve so he said he will tow them both there and do it. Should I trust him though is it a hard job or pretty basic? Its an automatic.