PDA

View Full Version : how to fix bad/no idle (carb)

rehv_Aerodeck86
04-14-2003, 09:10 AM
i've always had a nice idle (between 700-800rpm), but a week ago i just lost it. as soos as i stopped stepping on the gas, car died (sitting @ the red lights etc). kinda pissy off, starting the engine 4 times a minute in the traffic.
at first i thought some rust or crap is is the fuel filter, but no. other suspection was water in the tank. i went to a local car-repair and i they told that tank needs to be taken off, cleaned and the whole fuel system needs treating. about 100$?

so i explained the problem to a friend of mine, who guessed that it was crappy fuel... and i was suprised of the following, how easy it was:

1) remove the airbox ( if somebody here still has it :)
2) keep rpm ~6000
3) at the same time the other guy close the carb with a plastic bag, hands or sth....and you push the gas pedal as much as it goes
4) do it for about 10-20 seconds (you stepping on the gas, other guy covering the carb...the carb desperately tries to suck air through the plastic/hands, hardly idling )
5) free the carb, put airbox/cai/sri
whatever back on...

voila....good as new.

that way i got the crap out of my carb, idle good

sorry 4 poor english, hope it helps anybody with idle problems ;)

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 12:05 PM
didn't the car die !

MIKE

shepherd79
04-14-2003, 12:29 PM
i do the same thing to my car all the time. it is the best way to clean the carb in my opinion.
the car won't die if you keep for a few seconds. untill RPM stop dropping, let it go after that. keep doing a few times and you should have clean car.

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 02:38 PM
man that's some good stuff !
thanx for sharing !
i'll try it this weekend !

MIKE