PDA

View Full Version : Jdm B18a

CARBurn
04-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Ok, I went to a place here in Baltimore that deals in import engines shipped straight from japan. I was looking for a b20a from an 84-87prelude/86-89Accord, but they didn't seem to have any but also I didn't have time to go through the whole ware house to look. But you should have seen all the engines from Japan they had, I was like a kid in a candy store! I tried to explain to the owner of this warehouse about the b20a but he said he knew nothing of it. I even thought I found one until I saw how it was tilted toward the rear, not like the JDM B20a that tilts toward the front, oh, well. But just as I was about to give up, I saw what looked to be at least 3 JDM B18A's with dual carbs, just sitting in the back near a wall. The owner of course didn't know where they came from (but he has been in business for 10years in importing engines). He gave me a price of a little less than 500 for engine w/tranny. He said he would sell them as is.

My question to those that can answer is this: Would this swap be the same as a JDM B20A. Would I need that extra mount that is also needed for the B20A. I was told that you need intermediate axles for the b20a that can come from an 86-89 integra, would this also be the same? Would it also be the same with the distributor?

I have other questions about other parts(like the timing belt, etc) that I will ask later, but I just want to get these major questions out first, before heading any further.

I going to go back later this week to do look over the motor to compare what the motor will need and what I will need to get it to run at least.

I really wanted a b20a but I guess B18A would be the best thing to swap if it is a direct bolt in.

----
KEY WORDS TO AID IN SEARCH RESULTS
engine swap b18a b20a
----

carotman
04-14-2003, 04:24 PM
The B18A is basicaly a de-stroked B20A. You can keep the stock B18A distributor since it's vacuum advanced (it's a carb after all)

I noticed that the B18A does NOT share the same intake manifold as the A20A/B20A. It already has a dual carb setup that it's too bad tough.

The rear mount will have to come with the transmission or you will need to order one.

Like I said, the B20A and B18A are alot similar

Anything else you need to know???

shepherd79
04-15-2003, 03:43 AM
oh man, B18 in baltimore. do you know the phone number for this guy. i want one. i have been looking for one.

CARBurn
04-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Thanks for answering my questions carotman. I know right now I need to go back there and look over the motor and to compare some things, but at least I know about the distributor and such.
One other question if any can answer is if the dual carburetor and intake manifold setup is the same as used on the 2nd Gen preludes with the a20a motor? Hasn't there been some that have fitted with a weber?
If the weber is used it would not be the same one used on the accord, i believe I am referring to what's called the down draft carb? Does anybody know if weber makes one for maybe the prelude that I could possibly make fit the b18a? I haven search their site in awhile since I bought the weber for my own car a while back, but if anybody has any info that would help.

Shepherd, the company is called ANA Trade Corp (410) 342 4404, You can try calling but you might not get anywhere if you mention a b series engine that was made for the accord. The only engine the owner mentioned for my car was the a20, but only after I began to search for myself did I find the b18a, to which he did not know where it came from.

I'll have more questions as I move along with this project b18a.

CARBurn
04-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Ok, I went back to get some more information and to just look over the motor. I think I'm getting on the owners nerves by asking so many questions but oh, well, I just want the motor. Found four b18a's and all but one came with the tranny. They all had the distrubutor still attached and at least one had the ignition coil still attached. One of the b18a's had part of the axle still in the tranny and I asked the guy is it possible to order another axle from Japan or if I could find a supplier of japanese part, but he said it was not possible to order parts.

Anyway, looking over the motors and comparing the serial numbers to the one listed in the FAQs I found this:
serial #
B18A {1004063}
{1049290}
{1045973}

The fourth engine I couldn't get the serial number in time to write down, but it started with 11------. The owner said these were japanese serial numbers and I noticed they did not exactly match the serial numbers in FAQs for the same engine:
serial #
B18A {1000001}
{1040001}
{1080001}
{1110001}

The motor mounts did match up with those on the A20a so no problem there. I will need get some more info on how to order parts and what parts I will need and/or interchange with the USDM Accord.

carotman
04-16-2003, 08:55 PM
The numbers DO match. I only listed the first number in the serie.

Like the engine 1004063, it's the 4063th engine in the 10000001 Serie.... got it?

You will need to use the carbs that came with the B18A or make a custom manifold to accept sidedraft webbers. From what I saw the intake ports were different from the A18 and B20A2

CARBurn
04-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Still doing some research on this engine, and found some interesting things (anybody know how to read japanese?). I was able to obtain the torque specs for this engine:
B18A DOHC Dual CV Carb: 130 BHP@ 6000rpm( already in the FAQs); Torque-119 ft-lbs@ 4000 rpm.

Found a website with the manual tranny codes
A2N5-100
A2N5-200
E2N5-100
E2N5-200

I have emailed several JDM import suppliers to find provide the part numbers for some of the components of the engine. Anyt new information I find I will post here.

carotman
04-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Found a website with the manual tranny codes

You mean that you checked in the FAQ???? They are all there with their serial numbers too :D :D

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11809

Sean
04-18-2003, 01:15 PM
figures i just moved from baltimore. ive mentioned ANA trading crop numerous time to other folks in the mid atlantic. those b18's have been sitting there along time. since i joined the board back in the winter of 1999.

what are you trying to achive the b20 head could be placed on the b18 block. i dont think going to a smaller motor is really a gain. the a20a is about even with the b18. hence why they never seem to be installed in the 86 and later accords.

the big thing is why bother ?? a cam/intake/heade/exhuast would net you more power for less $$.

carotman
04-18-2003, 08:37 PM
I think that the B18 has more potential tough. 16 valves, and you can tune the exhaust cam separately from the intake.

CARBurn
04-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Sean:
Yeah I was reading one of your previous post in this section and I saw you did mention them. I found them when I was looking in the phone book for used auto parts. The guy who owns it seems nice but he doesn't seem to believe I know what I am talking about when it comes to the accord. Have you ever mentioned the B18a/B20a when you talked with him?

I hear what you are saying about going to a smaller motor, and I definitely know the potential that can be achieved with the a20a, especially since my 87 (M.I.A) had a weber and exhaust upgrades as well as other little goodies that made her exceptionally fast.

After that though, I find myself wanting try something different and I think it would be nice to work on a motor almost nobody has or knows very little about. I personally think there is potential for the motor and with the right help and know how, who knows where I can take it? Then add some upgrades as I did the a20a I feel this motor can be even faster.

I think you are somewhat right with the motors being about even, but are you comparing the carbed a20a or efi a20a? I think for those of us that have carbs will appreciate any upgrade in power and I think the answer to that is the b18a. Just dropping it in nets you another 32 hp and another 10 ft-lbs of torque. Now for the efi people this would not be a big deal, but for carb people this is a whole heck of lot difference. I don't know where I can find all of that for under $500 (not including labor of course).

I guess I'm just going to be the odd one out and believe in the potential of this "black sheep" of the honda motor family.

If you have any other advice that would help me out, I would appreciate it.

CARBurn
04-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by carotman
I think that the B18 has more potential tough. 16 valves, and you can tune the exhaust cam separately from the intake.

That's the most attractive part of these B-series motors compared with A-series:
more valves=better breathing=more POWER.

CARBurn
04-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok, not having the best of luck with suppliers, does anyone have any suggestions on who I can contact for info on JDM parts in general. I am trying to find info on JDM parts for the B18A, I emailed several places, jdm-parts.com(I think that's the web address), etc, and have not received no reply, I plan on trying again, but was wondering if any body knew another place I can go to to find out this info.

Thanks.

YK86
04-26-2003, 02:59 AM
What exactly do you want to know? I have a JDM parts catalogue so I can find out prices and part numbers if that's what you are looking for.

CARBurn
04-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks Yasu for any help you can give.

Right now I am looking for part numbers for the following:
Timing belt
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Cylinder Head gasket
Cylinder Block gasket
Clutch

I'm probably am missing something so I might ask you for more information later, hope that is alright.

Thanks again.

YK86
04-29-2003, 11:12 AM
I'll get the info for you later tonight.

YK86
05-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Sorry for the late resopnse. I couldn't get the clutch and top end gasket kit to come up for some reason. I'll kerep trying and post it here when i do. Anyways, here's what I dug up (prices at current exchange rate, no shipping of course):
timing belt-06141-PH3-305_____$27
oil pump- 15100-PH3-010_____$73
water pump-19200-PH3-000____$62
head gasket-12251-PH3-033___$33
bottom end gasket kit-061B1-PH5-000__$37

CARBurn
05-02-2003, 09:06 PM
thank you very much. This info makes things a whole lot easier.

Hmm...reviewing Rob's post on B20a parts I see this motor shares the timing belt and the water pump with the JDM B20a.

CARBurn
05-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Finally found a B20a!!! Found two back at the same warehouse, but one was an automatic and the other was missing the transmission. Both had a gold valve cover. I would like to take the one with the automatic but I want a manual. And the other one I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for a tranny, and I really thought I was on to something too...

Onward with the B18a!!!!

carotman
05-20-2003, 05:51 PM
why don't you check if the transmission from the B18A would fit on the B20A???

I know that the A18A and A20A have interchangeable trannies.... I think that would be something to look into

CARBurn
05-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I think your onto something, just like the a18a/a20a tranny swap, just swap the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch. That should definitely work.

The only thing is I don't have space to work on both engines. I need to have my own garage with my own hoist then I'll be able to everything I want.

I will definitely keep that in mind when I get a another accord...

carotman
05-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Can you take a picture of the B18A so we can add it to the FAQ?

Thanks

CARBurn
05-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Will do.

toastyghost
06-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Sean
the big thing is why bother ?? a cam/intake/heade/exhuast would net you more power for less $$.

Destroke = less rotational throw = higher rev. If two cars have the same PEAK power, the one with the wider powerband will perform better.

85lude
12-03-2003, 12:13 AM
hey carburn i know its a old thread but is there still a b18a over there at the warehouse??? i want to put one in my 85 base prelude. but they are so hard to find. can you help me out. oh and did the others have a manual trans???? thanks dude

CARBurn
12-06-2003, 12:08 AM
85lude:
Whoa, it seems like everyone in this forum wants a JDM B20a, its rare to hear someone here talk about a JDM b18a. Anyway back to your question the place had like four JDM B18a's and 2 JDM B20a's (Gold Top) the last time I looked. My B18A project is on hiatus for now until I can find a another accord body to install the engine. I managed to put a deposit on one motor but that was a few months ago. I'll PM you with more info about the motors I saw. If you have any questions let me know.