PDA

View Full Version : My troubles with valve adujustment

dosh8er
06-01-2002, 12:04 PM
I opened up my valve cover, and looked at my valve lash agian, this past monday (memorial day). I got to the 4th cylinder and, oh $hit! I stripped one of the studs and nuts. Well, needless to say, I had exams on tuesday and wednesday, so I needed to have a car. So I followed through with my old man's idea of using lock-tight on the stud. Well, needless to say, I was scared as $hit on tuesday when I drove to school (only a few minutes away). But I made it there and back, and ther and back again. I borrowed my old man's van as soon as he got off work, took off to the junk yard, and found an engine sitting in one of their garages, collecting dust. (and rat $hit). I pulled out a couple of those studs and nuts, then paid $5, got home, and finished my project.

That's besides the point. I'm posting this because I had some trouble when I had to rotate the crank to the needed position. Which way do you turn the camshaft gear? Well, here's a picture that will (hint, hint!) hopefully make it into the FAQ section.

http://milokp.dyndns.org/~dosh8er/honda/timingbelt.jpg

The arrow indicates the direction the camshaft should be rotated to the next position (which is 90 deg. from top position. 'UP' should line up with head surface) Firing order is 1-3-4-2.
(so going around counterclockwise, you will adjust 1 first, then 3, then 4, then 2.

if anyone feels or knows this is wrong, please post. (maybe I did something wrong)

A20A1
06-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Is that white out?

rocky2
06-02-2002, 05:36 AM
Dosh8er,

You got that picture from a Haynes manuel right? I see it on page 2A7. Turn to page 2A1....See the engine diagram where the distribter turns clockwise? Okay thats running. But when adjusting valves they say go counterclockwise.

Take out your spark plugs....insert finger in #1 spark plug hole....turn engine over with socket/wrench on crank pully-CLOCKWISE...now when you feel compressed air beginning to push out that cylinder you are now coming to Top Dead Center...TDC...Now...align the marks at crank pully-cam pully...they should be "ON THE MONEY" very important..if there not...I'd put a new belt on at this point...On page 2A8 you see #7.22 picture
for cam gear but I don't see one for the crank anywhere Picture 7.17b should have a dot on 1 of those teeth but it don't...Look at yours for one and it should be close to a referance mark on block.
When you do get the belt straight and all marks are aligned with tenstion on belt at this point you could begin to adjust valves. Now turn engine counterclockwise until the marks on cam pully aligin with flat head surface as in figure 7.22.#2rocker should be up and be able to "wiggle" it slightly...if not somethings wrong. You should be able to "wiggle ALL the rockers when the sping is all the way up....thats the adjustment!!!!!Now you adjust the wiggle"clearance" with a feeler gauge. then4 then 3 and recheck #1.

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-02-2002, 07:14 AM
Reading rocky2's post, he said to rotate the engine "clockwise", right? when I adjusted my valves I referred to Yk86's how to back at ez bored: http://pub63.ezboard.com/f3gsfrm19.showMessage?topicID=26.topic and he said "counterclockwise". Plus my Chilton's says:

Always rotate the engine in a counterclockwise direction as veiwed from the pulley end. If you miss the mark during the rotation, keep going in the same direction until it comes around again. Turning the engine backwards may cause the timing belt to jump a tooth or slacken, risking engine damage when restarted. Sooo..:wtf:

rocky2
06-02-2002, 08:57 AM
clockwise just to find tdc on #1

Counterclockwise after that when adjusting valves

dosh8er
06-02-2002, 11:43 PM
No, no, no rocky2. Look at the picture. look at the arrow. That is how the crank and pulley normally rotate when the engine is running. That's why the arrow is there. I understand how to get TDC, after reading the how-to, the alignment of the camshaft gear (in the picture, the #1 cyl. is at TDC). I just wanted to post that pict. for anyone else who wonders. It's a good picture, and it shows a lot the how-to didn't (mmm.. I like pictures.)

BTW, who's fingers are small enough to fit inside the spark plug hole!?! what? you got dainty-girl hands or something? (no offense ladies, I like your hands just the same...)

superaccord
06-02-2002, 11:51 PM
what would happen if you turned your pully while adjusting your valves clock wise? my timing belt needs to be changed also, cause i knoticed some pla y in it. not good. until i can get it done the car is parked.