PDA

View Full Version : Dropzone Coilovers

Haolerot
04-15-2003, 11:09 AM
:D I just bought dropzone coilovers for $110....and i saw a forum that says there really stiff...is that a bad thing...and i dont really have the $$ to buy struts.....is that going to fuck up my car??? And if my stock struts go out....will that seriously fuck up my car....other than bounce a lot???

88accord
04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
I dont know if they are stiff,but if they are the only thing it will
fuck up is the ride.If the struts go out it will fuck up your tires.

Haolerot
04-15-2003, 11:26 AM
how will it fuck up my tires??

goldyaccord
04-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Haolerot
how will it fuck up my tires??

the lower you go, you tires will look like this / \ instead of | |

You need to get the Prelude upper arms off an 84-87 prelude. search for Prelude Arms that that will give you the precise Instructions on how to do it.

IT will make your tires even to the pavement therefore less wear to the tires.

88 Accord DX
04-15-2003, 04:08 PM
without new struts you will bounce like a bitch, have premature tire wear, and have longer breaking distance.

jigga225
04-16-2003, 07:11 AM
I'm ridin on dropzone coilovers,,, and tokicos

UMM mmmmm
all I can say is that the ride is managable.
its not the best. But I'm slammed to the ground and I have
prelude arms AND ingalls camber kits so my tires are sittin on all zeros for alignment

its cool if the road is smooth.
but on the HWY if its bumpy youre not gonna like it

Haolerot
04-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Shit...jigga do you have tokico struts??? Cause i dont want to buy stuts cause i no more money and i going sell the car in about 2 months...

shepherd79
04-16-2003, 11:31 AM
if you gonna sell the car in 2 month, why did you buy coilovers?
it doesn't make any sense.

Haolerot
04-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Good point......but the kid that i like sell um to says he buy the car for 3,500 if i lowered it.

jigga225
04-16-2003, 06:11 PM
yah man tokcos all way around.
not the best idea id you get dropzones

88 Accord DX
04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
well if your gonna sell it to him if its lowered then i would buy the cheapest coilovers. smart idea.

maxoutracer
04-16-2003, 07:46 PM
do it right! i learn from the past in my 89 LXi, cut my springs, lol... killed my shock and crack the casing on my transmission.

right how i drive 87 and 88 integra, on my 87 i'm currently running kyb gr-2 all around with eibach pro kit. in my 88 i'm running tokico in front, kyb gr-2 and lightspeed racing springs(annoying and stiff, lol...) do it the right way so you won't have future problem.

cheapest would be kyb gr-2 shocks...

good luck!

Jims 86LXI HB
04-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by maxoutracer

do it the right way so you won't have future problem.

cheapest would be kyb gr-2 shocks...

good luck!

KYB GR-2's in all applications are OEM valved replacements and are wholely unsuited for lowering springs of any sort. Tokico H.P.s are (H)igh (P)erformance for stock spring rates and are also unsuited for stiffer lowering springs. That leaves a us with Koni specials. The Koni special's dampning limits are streached to the limit with Ground-Control coilovers. Being that drop-zone coilovers are much stiffer than the GC's, I can't recommend them to go with the drop-zones, yes they'd be a much better choice than the KYB's or Tokico's, but you'd still have issues using them, but less so. I can only recommend revalved Koni's or better yet revalve a set of Bilstein H.D.'s. Remember this is not about autocrossing or running races. It's about matching the right strut capabilitires with how stiff the springs are.

Haolerot
04-17-2003, 10:05 AM
So if im not going to put struts or camber kits or anything...is it worth it to even buy just the coilovers?? Will it seriously fuck up my car??? cause no matter what you say about struts..im not buying any..too poor... so should i lower it anyway? Im affraid if i lower it and its shitty then he not going buy um.

anchovies
04-17-2003, 10:01 PM
You might as well save the money and cut the springs then. Without the correct struts at the very least, the ride will be bouncy as hell. Even on rather smooth highways. Camber kits is to fix the aftermaths of lowering a car. Saves your tires but not necessary.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-19-2003, 11:42 PM
I am kinda wondering about some of this... I have tokico shocks on my 89 sei, my dad got them installed.. and I am thinkin about lowering the car a little bit, but not much cuz Calgary winters suck. So i thought coilovers would be the best idea to get the perfect ride height... SO, would I be O.k with the tokico shocks if i put in coilovers??

Jims 86LXI HB
04-20-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man_Se_i
I am kinda wondering about some of this... I have tokico shocks on my 89 sei, my dad got them installed.. and I am thinkin about lowering the car a little bit, but not much cuz Calgary winters suck. So i thought coilovers would be the best idea to get the perfect ride height... SO, would I be O.k with the tokico shocks if i put in coilovers??

You really need to ask yourself, why you have to have coilovers?
Coilovers and the stock springs you have now are different animals, very different. Stock springs are progressive, thick of them as dual personality. One soaks up most of the small bumps and lesson's the impact of bigger ones. The other takes over with a firmer spring for bigger bumps and hard cornering. Coilovers do not have that initial soft part, you have no forgiveness for small bumps and nothing to lesson the impact of bigger bumps, you feel everything. Coilovers use linear springs.

So to answer your question, can you use your tokico's with coilovers? You will have a bouncy ride that will be harsher than stock, running weak struts on stiffer springs does things that people should NOT except. And to make matters worse, I see some people that don't know they have a inferior setup. It will be MUCH different than you have now. Anyone that want's (and cares) their car to ride and drive as if their car was lowered at the factory would NOT put up with how the car would act lowered on tokico's, especially on coilovers. Your best bet is to get Ground-control coilovers, and run them with Koni's. No it's not cheap, yes most of us are not made of money. But if you care, I can tell you first hand that a 3rd gen accord with it's suspension DONE RIGHT can be done and it's a VERY rewarding car to live with and experience, get it wrong and it's a really drag, annoying.