PDA

View Full Version : Extra Parts Weight Reduction (in LBS)

HondaBoy
04-15-2003, 07:46 PM
i have been wondering what all of these parts that are realy just there for appearance weigh. i was weighing some things i took outta the trunk. i thought for some of us, this might be usefull if u wanted to know.
2lbs- plastic piece covering spare tire under carpet
6lbs- all colored plastic trim on "walls" of trunk
3lbs- trunk carpet
11lbs- honda rubber floor mats
18lbs- fold down part of back seat
i will try and find out how much the back seat bottom part that u sit on weighs along with the side parts of the seat back. and i have forgotten how much weight reduction my aluminium wheels made over the stock steel wheels. i think the 13in aluminium wheels were around 28lbs with full tread tires and the steelies were about 32 with full treat tires. i want to know the exact weight so i will find out sometime like this weekend. i know this stuff didnt weigh much, but i thought it would be somewhat interesting to yall.

Grant2k
04-15-2003, 08:13 PM
wheels and tires are a comprimise. i am pretty sure that my original 13s with tires weigh less than my 15" GSRs with tires. maybe a performance tire would be lighter than an all season. but either way for better performance you have to get bigger tires and they will weigh more.

take out the engine. that thing is dead weight.

AZmike
04-16-2003, 01:17 AM
High performance tires tend to weight more than the same size all-season models because of the extra material used to stiffen the sidewalls.

HondaBoy
04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
there wasnt much weight in most of the stuff u can take out, but i wasnt thinkin the fold down part of my back seat wound weigh 18lbs. i was thinkin more like 8 at the most, but i guess its that metal in the back. i dont think taking the back seat out would realy make that much of a difference.

AccordEpicenter
04-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Im thinkin serious weight reduction can be had in our cars still. If you were to drill and grind (carefully) some of that steel out of the hood (the inner steel obviously) and some of it out of the trunk lid you should be able to take out 25lbs if youre good. Also the battery plate doesnt need to be a solid plate of steel, you can drill that out too. Say goodbye to cruise control and ac are good things too. Im thinkin about cutting out the spare tire well and some metal in the rear end too. I dont wanna give up my interior just for weight reduction.

xbi0s
04-22-2003, 06:28 AM
why the hell would you reduce so much weight from a 3gee Accord? Unless you had a nice motor swap and did 1/4mi or AutoX

Grant2k
04-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by xbi0s
why the hell would you reduce so much weight from a 3gee Accord? Unless you had a nice motor swap and did 1/4mi or AutoX
wieght reduction is still wieght reduction no matter what engine you have. it'll help.

BensAccordLxi
04-22-2003, 09:14 AM
I ran better and better times in my Accord with the more I took out of it. Weight reduction does make a difference.

HondaBoy
04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
so for race night should i take the back seat out? if the fold down part was 18lbs, the rest must be about 10 or 15 more. i will know in a few days how it does with and without the back seat. i dont think it will make that much of a difference but i am still gonna try it out.