PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust question

86accord4dr
04-15-2003, 08:54 PM
How much did your 2.5 inch catback cost? I have a buddy who can do it for cheap so i wanna see how good his price is. I don't want some BWAAAAAAAA rice sound just a good exhaust note. What kind of muffler would be best for me. Thanks.

AZmike
04-16-2003, 01:15 AM
The Dynomax Super Turbo muffler is pretty popular and not too expensive.

Grant2k
04-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
The Dynomax Super Turbo muffler is pretty popular and not too expensive.
and it should be one of your quietest options.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by 86accord4dr
How much did your 2.5 inch catback cost? I have a buddy who can do it for cheap so i wanna see how good his price is. I don't want some BWAAAAAAAA rice sound just a good exhaust note. What kind of muffler would be best for me. Thanks.

Do not do 2.5". 2.25" is the proper size for your displacement, tuning and rev range. Unless your going to install a wild cam and and ported polished heads, 2.5" will not benefit you. To give you a idea, my new car with a 3.5L V6 and 260hp, it has 2.5" piping.

86accord4dr
04-16-2003, 09:18 AM
hey thanks guys. how much is a 2 1/4 piping with the dynomax muffler run ya tho

Mike89Accordcom
04-16-2003, 09:45 AM
well my 2 1/4 piping and muffler ran me about $400.

86accord4dr
04-16-2003, 08:14 PM
holy crap! well i guess i am getting quite the deal then. thanks mike

Jims 86LXI HB
04-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Total cost for my dynomax muffler, stainless steel tip and resonator back (I elected to keep the stock resonator just behind the cat) was $162 including creating the 2.25" piping and the whole install thing.

86accord4dr
04-17-2003, 08:30 AM
now how come yours was so much cheaper Jim? Or are you not including labor?

88 Accord DX
04-17-2003, 08:35 AM
it all depends on who does it. one guy i talked to said he would get me the muffler and custom bend the pipes for $400 and another guy said if i bought the muffler he would bend and install the pipes for $80

86accord4dr
04-17-2003, 09:40 AM
yeah 88 that's kinda the trip i'm on cuz my upstairs roomate has a buddy who has a shop and labor is free if you buy the parts.

Grant2k
04-17-2003, 11:27 AM
it also depends on the materials. if you buy stainless steel mandrel bent piping it's going to cost a lot more than standard aluminized steel with normal crimped bends.

86accord4dr
04-17-2003, 07:40 PM
naw i won't be going to fancy. i dont' think i'm going to do too much to her but i just thought if i need new exhaust i might as well get something that i'll be happy with

bobafett
04-18-2003, 12:08 AM
should cost about 100 to get the pipes run (not mandrel bent most likely.)

and then buy a muffler off of ebay for like 60 shipped. $160 aint bad.

also if you have a little extra change i would reccomend a high flow cat, either from ebay or a test pipe that looks like a cat from www.massivemotorsports.com but you would have to weld it all in, cause i dont think it will bolt up... :)

cdscowboy
04-18-2003, 01:12 AM
I think mine cost about 225 w/the install of the muffler at Mieneke (don't blame me, I'm drunk). Probably heavily depends on where you go though, as other have said.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by 86accord4dr
now how come yours was so much cheaper Jim? Or are you not including labor?

No that's complete. $62 for the muffler and stainless tip from summitracing.com and $92 for the muffler shop to make it into a custom resonator back system.

86accord4dr
04-20-2003, 10:51 PM
sweet deal. yeah so i looked at her last night and noticed that the whole exhaust system from the cat back is in decent shape. the pipes are intact and the muffler's probably only 3 years old. the only problem is the bent that goes in front of the rear wheel got a lot of water on it and its rusted almost in half. that's where my shitty loud sound is coming from. so for now i'm gonna slap that exhaust repair kit on it and see how long that lasts. when it really falls apart i'll just get a new piece welded in there.

i thought when i got her that i'd just put a couple g's into her to fix some stuff wrong but now i'm not so sure. i tried to change the oil this weekend but the drain bolt was on there so tight that had to break out the johnson bar and the fucker slipped and rounded the nut over. so now i'll have to get it drilled out and shit. i have some electrical problem that makes my dome light not turn on when the door opens, my drivers door is fucked so i have to only half close it just so the catch hooks on... and there's a fuck of a lot of rust from our salted winter roads. i'm just gonna drive her into the ground and start off with a better car maybe a babied 88 or something. i hate to say that cuz she's been pretty good to me for the money i paid for her. just thought i'd let ya know.

oh and buzzbomb if you're reading this sorry about the trims but as i said i'm probably not gonna bother. that's shitty of me seeing as you went to all the trouble but i'm sure someone on here needs new door trims if so talk to buzzbomber88lx