PDA

View Full Version : Rotor & Cap replacement !

ACCORD EX
06-01-2002, 02:35 PM
hello everybody ! :)

i am going to change ny cap and rotor ! but i want to make sure i do everything right !

1. when removing the cap , i unbolt the 2 screws remove thecap , put the newone in the exact same position with transfering the wires one by one ! right ?

2. what about removing the rotor ! is it held by anything ?

3, DO I HAVE to ADJUST anything after that ! ?

thnx everybody

MIKE

A20A1
06-01-2002, 03:44 PM
the rotor pulls straight outwards... and it's sort of hard to install the new rotor the wrong way... cause their is a groove in the metal that the rotor sits on.

ACCORD EX
06-02-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
the rotor pulls straight outwards... and it's sort of hard to install the new rotor the wrong way... cause their is a groove in the metal that the rotor sits on.

thnx MIKE ! :)

any other comments are welcome ! :)

MIKE

ACCORD EX
06-02-2002, 12:07 PM
does the rotor has any screws on it to hold it ! and if there is should they be reaplaced !

thnx !

MIKE

vtec11
06-02-2002, 01:48 PM
No man.

there's no screws for the rotor. its easy to change the cap and rotor. its pretty much straight forward.

you'll see when u take the cap off.

Einstein
06-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Adjust your ignition timing...

ACCORD EX
06-03-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Einstein
Adjust your ignition timing...

what ? :confused:

thnx VTEC 11 for the reply ! :)

MIKE

Einstein
06-03-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX

what ? :confused:

thnx VTEC 11 for the reply ! :)

MIKE

The exact angle at which the distributor is bolted to the head affects ignition spark timing. When you change the distributor cap, both the cap's tolerance and the position you install it will be different from when you took it off. You really should go through having the base ignition timing calibrated for best performance after the cap is changed.

ACCORD EX
06-03-2002, 10:26 AM
i understand the ignition timing thing ! but changing the distributer cap doesn't affect changin timing while i don't rotate the distributer i just unbolt the cap holding screws ! right ? :confused:

guys could any one confirm that ! :)

MIKE

POS carb
06-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I think it's easier to remove the whole distributor but if you want to change the cap while it's still installed you won't change the timing.

If you DO want to remove the distributor first draw a mark with a strong marker from the distributor to the head so you know the position if the distributor before and you only have to line it up (no timing light necessary)

Einstein
06-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't know the distributor cap was just out at the end of the distributor, which has it's own adjustable connection. (unlike other models) I'm not used to models with vacuum advance on PGMFI.

:( MY BAD

ACCORD EX
06-04-2002, 01:06 AM
it's ok einstein ! :)

and thnx ERIC ! :D

MIKE