PDA

View Full Version : can i still run it

88accord289
04-16-2003, 07:48 AM
ok here is the thing i ran my 88 lx hard a coulple of weeks ago and wound up having the engine making weird noises like the lifters and stuff. i filed the engine with more oil and oil treatment and continued home and the engine turned off. it would not start up. so i came back the next morining started it up. i drove it home it has sat there since. my uncle told me that if i take the thermostat out it would not turn off and the noise would quiet. i have no clue whether this would work or not but any feedback is appriciated thanks -mike:banghead:

87accordHB
04-16-2003, 08:10 AM
no thermostat = fucked engine.
but define "hard" what did you do ? need more info to solve this problem i think. i may be wrong tho, there are a bunch of smart peepz on this board that know more than me but hell, lol. oh, late welcome to the board btw. ! Dueze

88accord289
04-16-2003, 08:16 AM
well i was on the highway racing some car flooring it and i got off and i heard the lifters very slightly i almost thought it was my exhuast i paid close attention to it but was late for work.

87accordHB
04-16-2003, 08:31 AM
bent valves?

ACCORD EX
04-16-2003, 08:36 AM
removing the thermostat means cooling the engine all the time ! i don't think that will fuck up the engine !? how is the coolant !

how far did you floor it ! ? 4000 , 5000 , 6000 ??

MIKE

88accord289
04-16-2003, 09:16 AM
dont really know what rpm

88accord289
04-16-2003, 09:18 AM
should i try it??

89AccordHatch
04-16-2003, 09:58 AM
i had a broken thermostat and the car kept overheating.

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2003, 10:48 AM
yeah cuz it was probably stuck closed

Grant2k
04-16-2003, 10:52 AM
removing the thermostat will just make your take forever and a half to warm up but it shouldn't mess up your engine.

if you're in Bangor you should check out the Let's Meet section and look out for upcoming meets. there's none now but keep you eyes open. i live right across the river in Hunterdon County NJ, my cousin lives in Allentown and my other cousins live in Straudsburg.

87accordHB
04-16-2003, 12:31 PM
<~~stands corrected

ACCORD EX
04-16-2003, 01:22 PM
correct me if i am wrong !
a removed thermostat ( or stuck open ) means teh water is cooled always ! which will cause no harm to the engine !

MIKE

Grant2k
04-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
correct me if i am wrong !
a removed thermostat ( or stuck open ) means teh water is cooled always ! which will cause no harm to the engine !

MIKE exactly. it just means that the coolant is always going full circle through the radiator, heater core and all the coolant passages. it doesn't hurt anything but your car will take a very long time to reach full temprature so it technically will mean you have to wait longer before you drive it. that is if you always wait for your car to warm up.

wthramann
04-16-2003, 06:00 PM
and no heat. Help me understand why this action would correct the problem. Is the engine overheating?
If you do take the thermostat out be careful removing the two bolts. I recall the time I tried to replace my thermostat 10 minutes before dinner and proceeded to snap the lower bolt. Had to have the car towed to a garage to be drilled out. I now make sure I use some silicone or WD40 spray first.

Grant2k
04-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by wthramann
and no heat.
no, you'd have constant heat, or at least constant available heat. but it would take longer for it to be effective.

maxoutracer
04-16-2003, 07:22 PM
the reason we have thermostat so the can warm up quicker in the morning or cold days. you can run the car without a thermostat but it will take forever for the car to warm up. replacing the thermostat can help you car from over heating and protect the head gasket, running hott engine can damage the head gasket.

87accordHB
04-16-2003, 07:59 PM
so therefore in the long run..it could mess your engine up! yah i knew it!!! lol hey max, thats a first gen teg in your sig isnt it? hat black one?

ACCORD EX
04-17-2003, 04:10 AM
man ! you have 3 1st gen integra's ! you really love them ! they look very similar to accord HB 's !

MIKE

Grant2k
04-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by 87accordHB
so therefore in the long run..it could mess your engine up! yah i knew it!!! lol hey max, thats a first gen teg in your sig isnt it? hat black one?
not really. he said that replacing your thermostat helps your car not overheat. so if you don't have one and you have coolant running through all the time than that means your car, in theory, should never be able to overheat. i don't want to shoot you down i just don't want you to give out wrong information to somebody else you may be able to help someday.

wthramann
04-17-2003, 08:46 AM
I agree about the thermostat preventing overheating but beg to differ on the continuous availability of heat without thermostat. I have lived with an open thermostat. In the winter I would watch the temperature gauge go down to cold as I coasted down a hill. The effective temperature of the heated air was much lower. Gas mileage suffers some too.

POS carb
04-17-2003, 09:36 AM
the problem is regulation. If you have no thermostat your car will be running at constantly changing temperatures which will eventually lead to warping. Since the temp isn't regulated by flow control when you drive fast you're engine will start to cool. When you slow down it will get hot and it's bad in traffic

Grant2k
04-17-2003, 11:24 AM
now I stand corrected.