PDA

View Full Version : front bumpers

AccordEpicenter
04-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Ok im working on my 88 bumper so i put an 87 style bumper on my car, and i noticed that over about 50 or 60 mph my steering gets very light, like overboosted and the car gets very nervous feeling, it likes to turn and twitch left and right, but it doesnt shake, it just feels kinda vague like that and i just noticed it after i switched bumpers, is it possible that the 87 bumper is creating lift in the front end making it loose at speed?

SiR
04-17-2003, 12:15 PM
There is no change in lift. Its not an airplane, and you gotta be hauling ass to cause the car to lift! The only thing i cansee is that something might have gone wrong with the power steering cooling hose that runs in a very long "U" shape, on the lower part of and in front of the condensor. Thats all I can think of that might have happen when you were changing the bumpers.

maxoutracer
04-17-2003, 01:52 PM
when i had 89 LXi, i have to it's the best fucking steering, hehe. my steering wheel was very loose and i like it, if you think its too lose, remove your p/s belt and get little more power from the engine, hehe...

buzzbomber88lx
04-17-2003, 02:37 PM
it actually can cause lift from underneath. that is why people make their cars lower to the ground and make them more aerodynamic to make them have resistance to the air. when the car has been lowered the wind cant go under the car and causes it to go over the car thus giving downforce and making steering actually more dificult in a front wheel drive car because the front wheel drives have terible understeer anyway it only makes it worse. that is why spoilers on a front wheel drive are way gay. on a powerfull rear wheel drive car, lets say a saleen s351 for ex., would have a great amount of oversteer. that is why they put air dams on them and lower them a little bit. this makes it even out the steering giving it neutral steering. equal oversteer and understeer causing perfect cornering. just my .02 you will probably notice that the 88 front bumper is more aerodynamic than the 87's.

buzzbomber88lx
04-17-2003, 02:40 PM
i don't know if what i said has anything to do with what you are asking but what the hell i'll say it anyway. i just had to say that spoilers are gay! lol

AccordEpicenter
04-17-2003, 03:03 PM
i seriously think thats what it is. A front bumper can cause lift or less downforce than another, and i had the 88 bumper on and the steering was pretty neutral, but right now the car is all over the place and way too unstable for anything over 95mph... it just twitches too much