PDA

View Full Version : Could someone tell me how to INSTALL a main relay?

XXFearThisXX
04-17-2003, 08:05 PM
like the subject says i need info on how to install a main relay im getting one soon and i want to save money and install it my self if its easy that is so if anyone could post back how to.. or pics or somethin that would be GREATLY Cool :flash:

anchovies
04-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Unplug the old one, plug in new one.
It's a bitch to get to the main relay, you can just unplug it and leave the old one in there. Just plug to the new one and attach it somewhere with zip ties or something.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-18-2003, 01:22 AM
I didn't have too much trouble at all when I replaced mine. First of all, cover your carpet, and maybe wear rubber gloves. On the duct for the side vent has foam thats real oily & sticky. Then use a screwdriver to push the tab locking the connecter to the relay, push plug out. To get the 10 mm bolt out you'll need to have a few extensions so that it reaches past the steering column, then there's room for the rachet to turn. I used needle nose pliers to work the old out then new into position. helps to somehow stick or tape the bolt to the socket so it doesn't fall out till the bolt is started in the hole. Put connecter back in. You may find it's easier to do like anchovies suggested with zip ties, either way works. This is a pic I took whan I changed mine, with change tray removed. The orange thing with the white plug is the bottom part of the relay.

- Steve

XXFearThisXX
04-18-2003, 04:10 PM
so this is the main relay? i thought it was in the engine compartment somewhere but yeah this is the main relay thats causing my damn car to not start when its real hot outside.. also thanx for the pic that makes things easier :)