PDA

View Full Version : starting problems, serious help needed...

ALTERED4
04-17-2003, 09:40 PM
my starter had been acting up lately, it almost left me stranded last night, but after 20 tries, the starter finally came on... again, this morning, it must have taken 10 tries for the starter to kick on... the starter was clicking, but it wasnt turning...

anyways, i went to autozone today to purchase a new one with a lifetime warranty, i pulled the old starter out, installed the new one, made sure everything was put back right... i go to start the car... nothing... not even a click...

i pull the starter out, and took it back to have it tested... absolutely nothing wrong with the starter...

what the hell could be wrong??? i put the starter back in the car and again, nothing... what do you guys thing might be the problem? throw ideas at me, i have to get this car running by tommorow afternoon...

thanks...

SiR
04-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm, It might be the neutral safety switch located inside of the center console right by the gear selector, Im assuming you have an auto.

ALTERED4
04-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by SiR
Hmmmm, It might be the neutral safety switch located inside of the center console right by the gear selector, Im assuming you have an auto.

i guess ill go look... what exactly am i looking for? how do i know if this safety switch is defective? yes, its an auto...

SiR
04-17-2003, 09:54 PM
The safety switch is on the driver side of the shifter. Its a small black rectangle box, looks a like a small circuit board. CAREFULLY (cuz i broke the last one and had to make a trip to the junkyard) remove it with two screws, one on eachside and slide it out of it indent. Clean it out and apply a little new grease in them and just put it back and test it first before closing everything back up.

ALTERED4
04-17-2003, 11:26 PM
update... there is a clicking coming from the engine bay (starter i assume) when i try to turn the car while its in P or N... while in gear, no clicking (obviously) occurs... can the safety switch still be the culprit??? no matter what i do, the starter does not turn...

SiR
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ALTERED4
update... there is a clicking coming from the engine bay (starter i assume) when i try to turn the car while its in P or N... while in gear, no clicking (obviously) occurs... can the safety switch still be the culprit??? no matter what i do, the starter does not turn...

It sounds like it might not be the switch. Hows the wires coming from the battery to the starter look and their connections? I heard some nasty crap can build and it just a good cleaning to have a nice and clean connections.

ALTERED4
04-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by SiR
It sounds like it might not be the switch. Hows the wires coming from the battery to the starter look and their connections? I heard some nasty crap can build and it just a good cleaning to have a nice and clean connections.

battery connections are clean... cleaned the ground by the battery tray that connects to the tranny and the negative on the battery... still nothing but clicks...

ALTERED4
04-18-2003, 12:00 AM
SiR, your help is greatly appreciated... i finally got that beech to turn... i pulled the small wire that goes from the ignition to the starter... got a 16 gauge wire with a connector that would fit the starter's, touched the positive post with the other end, and presto...

damn ignition switch...

i guess ill be popping my hood and pulling out my wire every time i want to start the car :( ...

Elijah
04-18-2003, 12:03 AM
It might be the ignition switch or it might be that your your car isnt completely going into park!!

ALTERED4
04-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Elijah
It might be the ignition switch or it might be that your your car isnt completely going into park!!

i figure it has to be the ignition switch, as previously posted, there is clicking when the tranny is in park or neutral... no clicking when in gear. im assuming the neutral switch is working...

SiR
04-18-2003, 06:41 AM
I'm glas i can be of some help. You lost me once the connections are all good. I only talk of experience, so I didnt know what else it could be, so your saying you need a new ignition switch?

ALTERED4
04-18-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SiR
I'm glas i can be of some help. You lost me once the connections are all good. I only talk of experience, so I didnt know what else it could be, so your saying you need a new ignition switch?

since i dont know exactly how the neutral switch works, im not completely ruling out the possibility the the neutral switch might be at fault... im probably going to the junkyard tomorrow and picking up both the neutral and ignition switch, im almost positive the car will start normally with a new ignition switch...

for the time being, im going to have to run underneath my hood and manualy activate my starter (ghetto) when i want to turn on the car...

since the starter only needs a 12v signal to start, i was thinking of throwing in a button and a switch from radio shack, and running it to the inside of the car. i could forget getting an ignition switch all together...

anyone ever replaced an ignition switch? ive never taken off my column or my dash off before... thanks for any help

em_
04-20-2003, 06:57 AM
that's fine pull the wire everytime

like that your wont have it stolen like
i did

rocky2
04-20-2003, 08:07 AM
next time starting problems occur. 2 things you can do.

!. hold start key switch all the way to start and with that move gear selector around from park to N and see if it hits.

2. Get a old screwdriver and jump out (cross) over big and small starter wires....it should turn over.....ps you will get a arch so it will burn screwdriver and turn over engine so beware..be safe!

ACCORD EX
04-20-2003, 01:41 PM
i was having the same problem ! i hot wired teh starter from teh engine bay and it fired right up !
procedure >

set the ignition key to ON ( all warning lights are on )
go to the engine bay and remove teh small wire that enters teh starter , and using a jump wire connect the + battery to the starter plug ! the starter should turn and once the car is on disconnect wire ( or you will damage the starter )
if the works so the problem is ! >

the small wire is loose when it 's on !
the ignition switch is not working all the time ( stick some WD 40 in there ! ) it worked for me !

GOOD LUCK !

MIKE

ALTERED4
04-21-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
...set the ignition key to ON ( all warning lights are on )
go to the engine bay and remove teh small wire that enters teh starter , and using a jump wire connect the + battery to the starter plug ! the starter should turn and once the car is on disconnect wire ( or you will damage the starter )...

this is what i did last thursday (when i replaced my starter) to get the starter to turn the motor... because i do not want to buy a new ignition switch at this point, and i wont have the time to go to the junkyard to get the parts and to do the repairs for a while, i decided to run a wire from the battery to a push button switch i mounted under the dash... another wire from the switch to the starter... now all i have to do is turn the key to the on position, and press the button, the car turns on...

i need to put a fuse somwhere along the line, im just not certain of the amperage draw...

cruznz
04-21-2003, 03:34 AM
or just use a relay

ACCORD EX
04-21-2003, 04:50 AM
did you try WD40 ! ?
BTW as i said the little plug ( that goes to the starter ) may be loose use pilars to tighten it a bit !

or you can do the switch thing ! try getting a RED switch :D it would be like a NOS :D :lol !

really get a good switch that won't short out by it self ! or say bye bye to the starter ! :D

MIKE

ALTERED4
04-21-2003, 10:53 AM
the switch itself is a heavy duty starter switch, im actually worried about the wiring... i had about 20ft of 16 gauge wire lying around, i used all of it... im worried that the wire might be too thin and too long for the load, the last thing i need is for the car to catch on fire because of a melted wire... that is why i was wondering the amperage draw for the switch on the starter... that way i can get the appropriate fuse to install somewhere along the line...

the wire and switch must have taken 20 minutes to install, and is only temporary untill i can get around to taking apart my steering column... but then again, it usually takes me two years to fix anything broken on my accord...

and about the plug, i checked that many times... i wouldnt say it is loose, but i wouldnt say it was tight either... the plug was tight enough to make a good connection without slipping off...

cruznz
04-21-2003, 10:34 PM
if you use a 30amp starter relay between the switch and solenoid ,the wiring size wont be a problem

Where are you getting the feed for the switch from?

ACCORD EX
04-22-2003, 12:52 AM
a 30 amp fuse won't ever blow up :flip: ! which will cause the wires to melt before blowing up !

BTW have you seen BW wire going to the distributer ! man that 's really thin !

MIKE

ALTERED4
04-22-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by cruznz
if you use a 30amp starter relay between the switch and solenoid ,the wiring size wont be a problem

Where are you getting the feed for the switch from?

directly from the battery...

ive been considering using a relay, i dont really want to have to install the extra wires though...

cruznz
04-22-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
a 30 amp fuse won't ever blow up :flip: ! which will cause the wires to melt before blowing up !

BTW have you seen BW wire going to the distributer ! man that 's really thin !

MIKE

hmmmm.....didn't i write RELAY, not fuse......and the distributor doesn't have the same load thru it as the starting system

cruznz
04-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by ALTERED4
directly from the battery...

ive been considering using a relay, i dont really want to have to install the extra wires though...

whats the amp rating of the switch?...i suggest the relay as your wire may not be sufficient for the current draw.

Is it the same size as the wire connected to starter originally?i can't remember

You may be able to mount relay close to starter or on it,use the wire you have put in for switch , connect to coil side of relay,then use heavier gauge for feed to relay from main starter feed,(battery cable on starter), and relay to solenoid

ACCORD EX
04-22-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by cruznz
hmmmm.....didn't i write RELAY, not fuse......and the distributor doesn't have the same load thru it as the starting system

damn ! i am really sorry man i didn't notice that ! will you forgive me ! :bow: :D

MIKE

cruznz
04-23-2003, 03:27 AM
it's cool man :cool: :D :smokin: