PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye (Traded for a 2003 Element)

Einstein
04-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Well you won't find me lurking in the Technical section anymore... I just picked up a new "Beater".

It's an orange 2003 Element 4WD EX. I'm starting to get used to the looks!

At least I'll have air conditioning this summer :)

Paul

1989 DX R
04-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Best of luck with your...different...vehicle :p

Morpheus
04-18-2003, 10:28 AM
lol, Why would u make a brand new car a beater? I kinda like the one in ur avatar better but that's just me. Good luck with the Element.

Einstein
04-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Morpheus
lol, Why would u make a brand new car a beater? I kinda like the one in ur avatar better but that's just me. Good luck with the Element.

Well the S2000 can't be a beater! (Although it does get is share of hard driving)

My wife is in love with her CR-V.

The Element is goofy looking, has no carpet, has pseudo-vinyl seats... and the wife can't believe I got orange!

But now I can throw my bicycle in the back and go find some trails. I should call it my "all-activity" vehicle instead of beater, will that make you feel better? :lol:

Mike89Accordcom
04-18-2003, 11:42 AM
The element is one of the most horrible looking cars out there. If you bought it for attention and to get laughed at then you've won. Also buying orange was a mistake. That is the type of car you couldn't pay me to ride in. UGLY!

Einstein
04-18-2003, 03:16 PM
Don't hold back now guys, say what you feel :lol

As you can see, I've owned a number of Honda products. When the 94 Integra came out I heard the same comments. Eventually, the look grew on the populus and everything else was old news.

We've been subject to lots of conservative styling over the years. Take a look at European and Japanese styling, you'll see why the Element fits right in to what's new.

Much unlike the Aztek, which was an exercise in styling stupidity, the Element is going to be a success.

Morpheus
04-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Aztek is the ugliest car EVER! The Element looks like an NSX next to it. I do appreciate that won't try and kill ur new Honda, not a beater but a "all-activity vehicle" lol. Is it a 5-speed? There should be plenty of mods for the engine now if not soon, it's one of the popular DOHC i-VTEC's, not sure of the code. Hp and tq. isn't bad either, 160 and 161. Prolly beat a 3gee. Is it 4wd? How bout a 10 second element, LOL!

'A20A3'
04-18-2003, 04:52 PM
well the integra was different man. first, it's a acura, and second, well it isn't a big, wierd looking SUV. it's a small, sporty coupe or 4-door. still man, whatever floats your boat. good luck with it.:wave:

Einstein
04-18-2003, 05:10 PM
4WD and Automatic. This is for stop and go traffic back and forth to work, and a vehicle to leave at the airport for several days (instead of the S2000)

Our CR-V (with 20 less ponies) feels stronger at high RPM. But then again the Element is heavier.

The sound system is 270 watts stock and with MP3 inputs on the dash. I will be ignoring the lame acceleration, and rocking out instead. Totally different than the S2000, which I blast down back roads and listen to the engine!

johndej
04-18-2003, 07:14 PM
man, i would love to have those cars. oh yeah, what did you trade for the element?

blazin3gen
04-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by johndej
man, i would love to have those cars. oh yeah, what did you trade for the element?

:rolleyes: his 3gee man, just look at his sig :D

Mike89Accordcom
04-19-2003, 01:54 AM
That's cool, whatever you like I guess.....

johndej
04-19-2003, 10:34 AM
ahh, i skipped right over that one.

Bobs89LXi
04-19-2003, 12:26 PM
The Element and Aztek are beauty queens when compared to the old Volkswagen Thing. It was one of the most aptly named cars ever made. We used to call them Nazi staff cars.

Good luck with the new rig. At least you stuck with Honda. :D Don't become a stranger. Even though you no longer possess your 3G, you will always be a 3G owner at heart.

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bobs89LXi
The Element and Aztek are beauty queens when compared to the old Volkswagen Thing. It was one of the most aptly named cars ever made. We used to call them Nazi staff cars.
That's funny you mention that... I just saw one of those VW Things the other day when I was up in Daytona Beach. My dad was with me, and I'm like :wtf: is that thing? haha

Anyways, congrats on the new ride! I actually like the new Elements. They're different looking, but I still kinda like it. I think they designed it more for functionality and adaptability rather than bling bling, and that's always cool. I sat in one of those at the auto show and was suprised at how much space it had inside!

iloveJDMblackrims69
04-19-2003, 06:36 PM
daaaaaaaamn ytour rich dude!!!!!!!!!! HOWD OYU HAVE A 3 GEE WHEN YOU HAD ALL THEM OTHER CARS IN YOUR SIG!?!??!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Just curious as to how you traded your 16year old accord, for a new Honda Element?? they are pretty cool cars, functional and good for abuse with no carpet and waterproof seats, if you get it dirty just hose down the interior :)

Vanilla Sky
04-20-2003, 01:46 AM
i'd like to have an element with painted trim... i know it's bare for a reason, but you can make them colored, paint or colored ABS... i tried to get dad to get one, but he got an 03 silverado because it's gonna be JUST a work vehicle, and he needs the payload... if i could afford one, i'd get the DX with NOTHING in it and rod and mod it out to be ME

Einstein
04-20-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
daaaaaaaamn ytour rich dude!!!!!!!!!! HOWD OYU HAVE A 3 GEE WHEN YOU HAD ALL THEM OTHER CARS IN YOUR SIG!?!??!

I'll save you the long history. I bought the Civic for my wife, she didn't like it, so I traded it for the S2000 (I would have kept it, but cashflow was tight at the time).

But I needed a car I could leave at the airport, so I bought the 3G cash.

Now money is better, and I wanted a newer everyday car. So I traded the 3G for the Element. My trip to work is stop and go through construction, I just want to relax and jam out.

I should probably sell the 3G privately, it's in great shape and I put a little money into it. But this is easy and I like easy.

Probably the biggest reason I got the Element is that the rear seats come out and I can throw my bicycle in and go find some nice rides.

ACCORD EX
04-20-2003, 05:39 AM
so you still have teh s2000 right ! :D

MIKE

Jerren
04-20-2003, 10:39 AM
i like the element. i think the orange may be kinda off. depending on what kinda orange it is. but "Element Type" suv's are gonna start popping up alot now. from what i understand, boxy looking suv's are popping in japan right now. so expect to see alot more here.

carlessNcareless
04-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Einstein
I will be ignoring the lame acceleration, and rocking out instead.

well then i guess all these people who keep shitting on your nice brand spankin new SUV must also do this with thier 3rd gens

Jerren
04-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by carlessNcareless
well then i guess all these people who keep shitting on your nice brand spankin new SUV must also do this with thier 3rd gens :werd:

89AcCOrDmike
04-20-2003, 05:46 PM
when I first saw the element, I thought it was hidious, but after a few visits to the dealership with my dad I really grew to like it, I think its stylish, and people just are not used to it yet. Nobody likes a lot of change, until they get used to it, and the Element is definately a big change for Honda. Good luck with your new "beater" (HAH) and good pick!

Einstein
06-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Don't be silly... of course I do!

Originally posted by ACCORD EX
so you still have teh s2000 right ! :D

MIKE

MIK3
06-10-2003, 08:06 PM
:Shakes head: Bad call man. But if cruising around in a 0-60 in 2 year refridgerator...it's all cool. I'm just saying, with that money....god, you could have gone so much better...faster...and more appealing to the eyes. Just curious. What possesed you to buy that anyway man? I'm sorry...I just do not like those vehicles...they are no better than the aztek's in my eyes.

A20A1
06-10-2003, 08:08 PM
ELEMENT??? Is that that BOXY SUPER MINI MINI VAN?
I've only seen one driving around.

'A20A3'
06-10-2003, 08:12 PM
i've seen a couple here...but not many...

MIK3
06-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Shield your eyes now...heh.

http://www.salon-auto.com/images/Nouveautes/orange_element.jpg

That is a Honda Element.

A20A1
06-10-2003, 08:46 PM
It looks ok... come on it's 2003 already... I mean 30 years ago people would have thought we'd be driving cars like that... right?

That Red Lexus looked ok too.

LOOK

... it has fun written all over it.

krott5333
06-11-2003, 06:26 AM
I like the elements alot. All the seats fold down into a bed, and the orange he got is probably that awesome amber color that they have on the newer volvos.

Is it that color? Did you get the rear moonroof?

Them are sweeeet, but ASSTEKS are plain ugly!

krott5333
06-11-2003, 06:31 AM
Allllright! That color is sweet, this is it, right?

http://www.hondacars.com/images/2003/element/customize/base_car/OR_ex4wd_34FRONT.jpg

HostileJava
06-11-2003, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry, not matter how many times I look at it I find it to be an assault on my eyes.

MIK3
06-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
I'm sorry, not matter how many times I look at it I find it to be an assault on my eyes.

:werd: Not only that...but I feel Honda has embarrased themselves with this new line of toilets, refridgerators, or what ever else they seem to me, in my eyes.

3G Jester
06-11-2003, 09:21 PM
honestly ilike the elements---functional and awsome interiors...and so ugly that they are actualy cute as hell :) IMO...

markmdz89hatch
06-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I think it was a great choice for all the reasons you already pointed out.

My friend was looking at getting one as well. I mean, if you have dogs, and want to bring them to the park, or really anywhere, just let 'em jump right into the back and you don't have to worry about getting the seats dirty, or full of hair. You can throw anything back there. Tons of room, and no worries of messing anything up. Just like someone already said, if you get it dirty, open the doors and hose it down, LITERALLY. One of the other very cool features about that car is the lack of a "B" pillar. With the "suicide" style doors, when you open up both sides, your vehicle becomes EMPTY and almost non-existant. That's cool. And for airport visits, well, you don't have to worry about anyone breaking into it and stealing stuff, there's nothing inside an Element that would make a thief go "mmmm". I mean shit, it's all rubber, plastic, and neoprene.

Good choice man!

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-12-2003, 08:18 PM
i think they are "cute" too!! lol........they are AWESOME.......alot of ppl think they are ugly, but I think they are really cool. They would look much better if they were painted all in one color instead of the vinyltrim........YUCK!.........but i wouldnt mind owning one!

Einstein
06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Bring it on, mo-fos! :lol

The color is more of the reddish orange of the pictures you are showing. It never looks as orange as the picture [stolen ;) ] from Honda's website.

The element has really loosened up, and I'm shocked when I go around corners and see the speed I'm doing. The car has a good low CG for it's size, and the i-VTEC engine pulls nicely, even for an auto 4WD.

The car is a lot of fun. I don't mind the mixed comments. I get more good than bad.

When people compare it to an Aztec, I don't worry about it... they just want to be mean. They know--and I know--that it's much more trendy and enduring than something Pontiac put ribs all over.

I drove my wife's white CR-V to work today. Now that car is an appliance.

Anyway, both the S2000 and Element are fun for different reasons. I don't regret my decision in any way. I don't want a more expensive, traditional, or accessorized vehicle. I need a car I can park anywhere and not worry about it.

Why didn't I spend more? I've found the more expensive cars just aren't any fun. I'm tired of little sedans and coupes. I don't want luxury or a bunch of creature comforts. That's what a living room is for.