PDA

View Full Version : Major Tech Prob!

Chris86Lxi
06-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Well, i was on my way home tonight and everything starts slowly losing power. First the stereo then the Radar detector, then the all the dash lights and gauges went about black. Then i noticed the headlights started going out and then the PGM-FI light, the Battery light, and the Oil light came on and all of a sudden the car eventually died after those lights came on. It went caput! Will someone please inform me of what they think happened. I tried charging it with jumpers and that didn't work. I think it may be the alternator, hopefully. That's what keeps shit running being the charger n' all. Well some help is appreciated guys!

THANKS!

Chris

rocky2
06-02-2002, 04:37 AM
Check belt,then charge battery,then start 3-g,then disconnect battery while running....if engine dies out....remove alternater ....have it tested to verify....and replace......not to easy on a 3-g:mad:

accordlx
06-02-2002, 05:06 AM
You have a broken alternator belt, bad alternator, or a bad ground wire.

AccordChemist
06-02-2002, 12:39 PM
its actually real simple on lxi's to change the alternators. and he has an lxi as read in his sig.

Chris86Lxi
06-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, thanks for responding. Something weird happened today. After last night when it totally died on me, i went back this morning to the parking lot it died in and when i got in and turned the key the fucker started right up!?! What the hell is goin on with my car? I drove it for about 20min. today and nothing happened. Last night though, i was driving for like 2 hours straight. Please someone tell me what they think is goin on.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Mantis88LX
06-02-2002, 01:34 PM
maybe becasue u wasnt pulling as much voltage? since it happended at night u had your head lights on.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-02-2002, 02:37 PM
take it to autozone and have them do a voltage test on it

CoAsTeR
06-02-2002, 05:09 PM
must be the faulty radar detector.. i think you should just send it to me! :D

Monoxide
06-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Mine did the same thing to me only at night "because of the lights" it would die. but then it would start up again and run fine for a few more days then it would start to die again. Had my alternator tested at autozone they said it was fine. So i put it back in then it did it again. So i just went out and bought a new alternator and its been fine.

kurt

Chris86Lxi
06-02-2002, 07:06 PM
Thanks alot guys! You've been a great help. I think i'm gonna take it to Advance Auto and have them do the Voltage test and the Alternator test. Hopefully they will tell me something to fix my problems. Another thing is when i drive for a while like cruising and shit, always stop N' go and shifting alot, my car runs pretty damn hot. The Temp gauge is way above halfway and kinda close to Hot but not real close. I'm thinkin of making a heat shield for my intake since the hot air from the engine can get to the intake. Do you guys think that my car running at high temps could be a factor too???

Thanks again!

Chris

hondaisthebest
06-02-2002, 07:47 PM
this probably mean that you alternator belt is finish, because the water pump and the alternator have the same belt. This is the reason why you car was overheating and electrical prob

njpeter
06-03-2002, 03:18 AM
stop advising people to remove the battery cables to test for an alternator problem. In most cases such a move can be deadly..here's how....

Let's say the alternator IS working..and the battery IS charging..you pull the hot cable..big fat spark..charging battery...www.helenkeller.com (or worse)

or

Alternator has no place to dump it's big fat charge...well heck that path thru the diodes looks good! If it doesn't get you the first time, the next time you run the battery down and jump start, as soon as you pull the cable from the other car, you'll need full alternator output to charge the dead battery///remeber the diodes?..well they got hurt last time..and now they are about to fail...and you're still 20 miles from home

voltmeters are really cheap ( under $10 in most places)..and that's the ONLY way to really discover where the fault it.

Buy one of the jump start porta-packs....cheaper then most tows.

BTW, most problems can be traced to battery. Number one problem is actually using a fast charger ( 20 amps/hr or better) WITHOUT disconnecting the hot lead of the battery..this also stresses the alternator diodes..the jumper pack is handy for keeping the radio settings alive..which is why most people don't disconnect the battery when charging

Chris86Lxi
06-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Hey guys i got it fixed i think. I haven't drove around alot yet but now it starts up when i turn the key after turning it on and off. Apparently I got a shit ass battery about 10 months ago. It already went sour on me. I took it to Autozone and the guy tested it and said it didn't look so good and tested pretty shitty so he just gave a brand new one. Pretty good guys there. He didn't even try recharging it.

Thanks guys,

Chris