PDA

View Full Version : I think i may need a new distributer :(

TJ89Accord
04-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, I finally decided to give my car a little tune up. Plugs, cap rotor, air filter. When I took off the cap and rotor i discovered oil. I'm guessin that im gonna need a new distributer soon. But the car runs fine, and there was no oil on the rotor. I took pics. Take a look and tell me what you all think...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6bcf2783842a549e88710093e1d5e8ae/fc4e81c8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pc785972f36b6ec8a41bfc4145e7ceb1a/fc4e81ca.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pd6731871d5a480051b0c59ce9731372b/fc4e81cb.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p77c540a2f998a466c88527c0bf3d0b20/fc4e81cd.jpg

another question, why does Honda use two different distributers on the Accords? I had to find out which one I had before I could get the cap.

thanks

tim

AccordEpicenter
04-20-2003, 09:00 PM
I dont think you need a new distributor yet, try getting a new distributor O ring first. Just because you spot oil doesnt mean that the distributor is shot. Besides it looks clean otherwise. Also make sure your advance mechanism moves freely. If it doesnt replace the distributor anyways if its jammed.

TJ89Accord
04-20-2003, 09:23 PM
OK, Ill have to try changing the O-ring first. I wonder if I can get it at Autozone, or if I'm gonna have to go to the dealer. Well it can't be that expensive. Is it just that one O ring thats right there? Or am I gonna have to take it all apart? I never did the distributer before, just cap and rotor...

Thanks for the help

tim

ACCORD EX
04-21-2003, 05:04 AM
well the sign of a shot distributer is RED DUST and i don't see it here ! so i don't think you need to replace the distributer !

MIKE

dj99
04-21-2003, 05:26 AM
You have a TEC distributor. Your o-ring could be leaking at the bottom and dripping toward the cap. Easy & cheap to replace.

dj99
04-21-2003, 05:28 AM
BTW, you have to unbolt the distributor after marking its postion in relation to the block (or preferably, reset your timing). The o-ring seals the distributor where it inserts into the block.

DanG86LX
04-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Oil in distributer here.. (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15155)

TJ89Accord
10-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Hey guys I'm bringing up my old thread cause I think its causing a problem now. I started the car up yesterday, after it had been sitting all night, and it was running really crappy. It actually died the first time I started it. Then when I started it again it was running very rough. Felt like it wasn't running on all cylinders. I'm thinking that oil got on the rotor. But it ran fine after I went down the street a little bit. What do you guys think?

I never replaced the O-ring, anyone know of a part number?

thanks

tim

cruznz
10-14-2003, 12:47 AM
well....imo,by the pic, i'd say the bearing seal is leaking,not the O-ring,especially if the oil is all the way in the distributor

Rebuilding it is a relatively simple job if you have access to a press or big vice,(i've rebuilt a few honda distributors) the problem i came across is the odd size bearing and seal, but SKF NZ were able to supply. All up, it cost me about $NZ30 to repair a distributor.
These distributors were all off B20A's, and a couple of Mazda distributors

dysiu
10-14-2003, 07:02 AM
This is most probably not an o-ring... but bearing seal inside the distributor. It happens to a lot of Hondas including mine. I just got another (used) distributor on Ebay for $10 but I drove it like this for years without any problems. I only changed it because I was tired of oil dripping from the vacuum advance and all the mess caused by this.

TJ89Accord
10-18-2003, 11:47 AM
OK I just replaced the cap and rotor again. And there was oil in it again. And I noticed a rust like dust on the inside of the rotor. I'm pretty sure this is a sing that the distributor is crappin out on me. Is there a how to on how to replace the distributor??? Any help is appreciated thanks :).

tim

jigga89SEi
11-04-2003, 11:18 AM
i've been looking into this situation for quite some time myself....and can't really figure the how to or what exactly is needed.... Some one please point me in the right direction....

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 12:07 PM
you need a new distributor...buy a new one.

I have gone through 3. If you redline your engine lots you will chew through a lot of distributors.

You can rebuild them but I like new ones.....because then you KNOW they work.

and dont pull one off a B20A. That engine has diff. compression so the advance curvs may be diff. !

A20A1
11-05-2003, 12:41 PM
considering the price of a rebuilt one I would not buy a new one yet.. That oil might not mix well with the grease thats on the bearrings but I don't see cracks in the ceramic or missing balls... the wires still look good. Just replace the o-ring and clean out the distributor as best you can. If you take it all apart you can regrease the bearings and spray the distributor body down with some WD-40.

TJ89Accord
11-05-2003, 06:06 PM
If I take it off, do I have to put it back on exactly the same way? Will it bolt on the same way? I dont wanna screw up the timing. And does this sound like something that will make my car run like crap in the morning. It only does it in the morning, or when I start the car for the first time after sitting all night...

tim

Mac
11-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Yep, its got to go back on the same way. Mark it before you take it off. I pulled mine just recently to change the o-ring and first I cleaned it off. Then I marked it in a couple of places with a magic marker down when it meets up with engine block. Also take off cap and note where the rotor is facing. You can accidently put it on 180 degrees out I think. Be careful. But it isn't really that hard to do. You can also bring it to TDC before you start.

DanG86LX
11-05-2003, 07:53 PM
...and what could be wrong with checking/adj. the timing too ? :rolleyes:

TJ89Accord
11-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Yah I don't know how to do that... When you put the distributor back on, does it have to be perfectly where it was? And how do you adjust the timing??? I'm gonna search for that, but any help is wanted. Thanks.

tim

A20A1
11-05-2003, 08:29 PM
you need to know how to use a timing light... also the distributor doesn't have to be perfectly in the same spot.. but if you turn it too much in either direction you'll notice power loss.

A20A1
11-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TJ89Accord
I never replaced the O-ring, anyone know of a part number?

thanks

tim

I pulled a slightly thicker o-ring from a hardware store... the seal was a lot better... the ones that come with head rebuild kits don't have enough meat to make a good seal, even though they are new

1988starter
11-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I got one withg a lifetime warenty just incase it dies one allread did stupid autozone crap on well it was less than 200 bucks

rocky2
11-08-2003, 04:15 AM
Maybe, now maybe...you can try to block the oil from getting inside the distribter. Put a dab of rtv around the shaft at bottom where it goes into cam after its nice and clean so it will stick,but not to much so it won't fit.

cruznz
11-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
you need a new distributor...buy a new one.

I have gone through 3. If you redline your engine lots you will chew through a lot of distributors.

You can rebuild them but I like new ones.....because then you KNOW they work.

and dont pull one off a B20A. That engine has diff. compression so the advance curvs may be diff. !

I KNOW the one's i rebuild are OK, because i know what i'm doing, and i test them ...if you have doubts about rebuilding them yourself, dont try it
The advance/retard is controlled by ECU on a B20A