PDA

View Full Version : I need someone's opinion

SupaNam
04-21-2003, 08:44 AM
I got my stock 89 accord lx. my oil burns real fast, i gotta refill my oil as often as i fill up on gas! (sarcastically speaking). my guess is that the rings on my pistons are done for. now, it is to my understanding that i gotta pretty much take it down to the block to replace those bad boys. so my idea is to get a LS engine and slap a v-tec head on it. or drop in a 3rd gen Si motor in. any better ideas out there? i know that imma need a new engine soon, i just don't want to spend a massive amount of money on it. i bought the car for $1300.

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
if you dont want to spend money you need to stay away from that swap. it costs a good amount of money to graph that head on that motor. and if its not done perfect it will just be a nightmare for you. if you are looking for a good motor look for the b20 this forum talks about. or just stick with a20 and turbo it. that motor almost begs to have a turbo slapped on it just because its cast iron.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-10-2003, 02:08 AM
There's a GSR motor for sale. Check the market place. You'll be one of the fastest out on the streets with a gsr motor in the 3g.

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 09:21 AM
gsr motor is just a b16 bored out a bit. just has 10 more horses then b16. nice motor but i dont know about being one of the fastest on the street. a b16 civic only runs 15s and they dont weigh all that much more then a accord. you will just be able to bet a few more people and that isnt worth the money you put into the swap. its only a 1.8 liter motor. all gsr is, is a name. like the type r tranny. my friend has a type r tranny and he wants to get rid of it because it has such short gears. and lsd isnt that big of a thing when you can by the diff for 350 and have it on your tranny.

SupaNam
05-10-2003, 11:25 AM
my friend is a mechanical genius. his project that he's a week away from finishing is an 1978 (i think) civic with an RSX type-S engine in the rear. RWD. 6-speed. it's pretty crazy looking.
he said he'll do the swap for me if i take him out to lunch or something. i just gotta provide the motor. so that's pretty much what i'm looking for. i would slap a turbo on my motor, but it carbed and old. wouldn't wanna waste the money.
so i take it GSR's aren't all that cracked out huh? oh yea, does anybody know if my 1989 Accord LX is a cable tranny? or hydraulic?

2old_honda
05-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SupaNam
oh yea, does anybody know if my 1989 Accord LX is a cable tranny? or hydraulic?

cable

wickedaccord
08-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ryer_s
gsr motor is just a b16 bored out a bit. just has 10 more horses then b16. nice motor but i dont know about being one of the fastest on the street. a b16 civic only runs 15s and they dont weigh all that much more then a accord. you will just be able to bet a few more people and that isnt worth the money you put into the swap. its only a 1.8 liter motor. all gsr is, is a name. like the type r tranny. my friend has a type r tranny and he wants to get rid of it because it has such short gears. and lsd isnt that big of a thing when you can by the diff for 350 and have it on your tranny.

:wtf: ??????
dude to even say that a GSR motor is jus a b16 bored out is a total understatement. a GSR block IS NOT a b16 block bored out.. and the head is different! and to say it's only a 1.8 liter motor.. then y the hell do i run so fast if it's jus a 1.8 liter? it's like me saying this then, y aint u running so fast with ur 2.0 liter motor ALL MOTOR?? and to say it's jus A NAME?? wat the hell?? seems like uve never built a GSR block before. as for a typeR tranny, being short geared. helloooo.. it's supposed to be short geared for high reving. i mean, y would u want a loooong reving high reving engine??? point is to stay at high rpm's when shifting not drop to a lower hp rating in ur powerband and having to climb waaay back up to ur good powerband. and u sure dont know that stock LSD is the best! otherwise, u'd know that QUAIFE makes honda differentials...
PEACE

:bow: Jon

dXsquared
08-22-2003, 10:06 AM
if you friend the mechanical genius can do anything, why not go for a 3.8 liter Buick V6 with a nice big holley carb on it... run about 300 hp and the same in tq. then make your car RWD and have a slick car.. thats what i would do with your mechanical genius friend

Travus

carotman
08-22-2003, 12:28 PM
gsr motor is just a b16 bored out a bit.

No, the B18C1 is a STROKED B16A. All B series share a 81 mm more except the B20b that has a 84 mm bore.

mykwikcoupe
08-23-2003, 02:18 PM
supanam. If you want another engine let mek now I have a 89 LX engine in my garage with recent headwork done on it. It has an oil leak coming from the back under the intake manifold and after the head job it has a funny sound but ran good. If you want it for parts or just a quick fixer let me know. It has 115,XXX on it and it didnt smoke when it was in the car. Im in Kenmore just up 405 from you. Let me know