PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

rideredorgohome
04-21-2003, 11:26 AM
I found out waht was squeaking on my car. Last week when I got my upper ball joint replaced, it was supposed to be a left upper ball joint that was replaced. I had ordered and got in the driver's side (left upper). I took the ball joint and my car to the shop and asked them to replace it. I had made sure it was a left upper I ordered about 3 times. They (the doughheads) installed it on the right hand side!!!!! This was the side that didn't really need it yet. Now they tell me I gave them the wrong part, when i know i didn't!:mad: My question is, are these two parts (left and right side) so similar that they could be mixed up for one another and be installed on the wrong side? Was this just their incompetance????????? Help me please so I can resolve this. Thanks

anchovies
04-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Front or rear upper ball joint?
If it's the rear, then it's the same no matter which side. For the front, those are different.

markmdz89hatch
04-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
Front or rear upper ball joint?
If it's the rear, then it's the same no matter which side. For the front, those are different.

'chovie's right, the rears are the same for either side. Same part number for either side b/c it's the exact same thing, no difference. Tell those guys to shove it up their ass. Buy a new one, and make them install it for free. Either that, or if you're really pissed, make them buy and install it for free b/c it was their fuck up that brought this situation about. Honestly though, I'd go with option #1. There's a better chance of getting the car back without any mystery dents, or leaks of any kind if you choose that route. Trust me, anyone can claim "that was already there" if they're accused of damaging something.

Good luck bro!

rideredorgohome
04-21-2003, 02:05 PM
They somehow installed the left hand side one on the right hand side, don't ask me how they did it!!! They just dug my old one out of the scrap metal pile, I'm going over there to compare them right now. My steerings all F** up now though, doesn't steer like it should. I told the owner about it. BTW I'm a sister!! lol:mad:

anchovies
04-21-2003, 02:11 PM
So issit the front or rears?
I guess it's the front. Then they have to fix it for free. Raise your voice a little, add some words about the what issit called (business bureau something bbc bbs??) also demand a free alignment.

rideredorgohome
04-21-2003, 02:53 PM
I am so hot under the collar right now it's not funny. I just got back from being over there. It is the left upper front b/j I'm talking about. The trouble is that this shop I took my car to is owned by the same company I work for. How can you scream at your boss??? They offered to install the other ball joint for free,but that's it. Nothing else. I will have to pay for the other part. They told me that the part I gave them was mispackaged, that I really gave them the wrong side. I know that Honda very rarely screws up like this. I checked like three times to make sure it was right by the part number. They said it was my fault because I brought the parts to them. It was their fault for writing "right side" instead of "left" though on the repair order. That way, if I did get the parts wrong, this wouldn't have happened! Give me your feedback on what I should do. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

rideredorgohome
04-21-2003, 05:31 PM
My question is still unanswered though. Do you guys think it is possible to put a left upper b/j on the right? Or do you really think the part was mispackaged? Thanks:confused:

anchovies
04-21-2003, 10:05 PM
A suggestion:
You can tell them that the upper ball joint (I'm assuming this is a stock accord arm+joint, not just the ball joint) has L stamped on it (which it should). The mechanic should check the part before any installation, that's just logical.
And it's possible to put the left onto the right side (that's the problem you're having right?)

ACCORD EX
04-22-2003, 01:05 AM
man ! this right and left side it really confusing ! ( you can look at the car from front or from inside ) so i always use the term passenger's side or driver's side !:D

MIKE

anchovies
04-22-2003, 02:49 PM
the correct term or what (most) mechanics refer to the left as driver, right as passenger.
It's always safer to just point at the side and show them.

rideredorgohome
04-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Well I am a little further ahead now. I checked the top of the right hand (passenger) side against the left (driver) hand and guess what??!! There is a curve in the one side of control arm and the other is straight. On the drivers side it curves towards the front of the car (this one is correct, cuz it was not touched). On the passenger side it should also curve towards the front, correct??? Well, it curves toward the BACK of the car now. I agree with one of the past posts, the mechanic should check the part before installing it. Because I can't get my car on a hoist right now, I can't see if there is a L on the one that was mis-installed. Am I correct in assuming that both control arms should curve towards the front of the car? This sure seems logical.

:mad: :rant: :burn:

rideredorgohome
04-23-2003, 04:36 PM
they finally did something about it today. My car is back at the shop right now being fixed. They finally admitted they were wrong. My headlamp was out so I asked them to replace it free of charge and they did it. Whatever happened to the customer always being right anyways? I can't believe I got such poor service. they will never see my car again....:stupid: :stick:

ACCORD EX
04-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by rideredorgohome
They finally admitted they were wrong.

man you are lucky ! and they were really nice !

MIKE