PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here paid to get the oil pan gasket changed?

DBMaster
04-21-2003, 12:05 PM
I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I was referred to a local Honda/Acura specialty shop where I paid a total of $185 to have the oil pan gasket and oil filter mounting plate gasket changed. This shop is run by a mechanic who was trained at a local Honda dealer in 1978 and has been working on Hondas ever since. These guys are very knowledgeable. I checked their work and they did a nice, neat job and didn't mess anything up or leave out any parts. (I have had that happen at a Ford dealer!)

I was just wondering what the going rate for this job was. I decided that I would treat myself to the convenience of not having to try to break loose the exhaust header bolts.

Later,

86AccordLxi
04-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah I had mine done in conjunction with an axle seal and the oil filter housing gasket and it cost ~$240-250 to do all that, if i remember correctly.

Alex

cdscowboy
04-21-2003, 12:38 PM
I got mine done for about the same price as you, DB. From what I hear, it's well worth the cash to have someone else do it for you!!

dews89blkaccord
04-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I had a mechanic that has worked on Honda's Quote me a price of $90 as long as I supplied the gasket, oil, and oil filter. Haven't had it done yet.

DBMaster
04-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah, cowboy. I posted on here several months ago to ask how difficult the job was. I have done plenty of the tough stuff with this car (timing belt twice, struts, radiator, P/S hose, etc.), but for some reason I just didn't want to do this.

Mike89Accordcom
04-21-2003, 08:08 PM
I had to replace mine I paid around that as well.....

Blue Impact
04-22-2003, 12:02 AM
I'd probably do it myself when it comes down to it, but if it's really hard, then yeah, I would take it to a mechanic. I haven't experience any kind of malfunctions with those gaskets yet.

89 Accords Rock
04-22-2003, 06:32 AM
i got new gasket, and oil. 75 canadian right at honda

cdscowboy
04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
You probably COULD do it yourself, but it'd probably be a bitch. I was originally going to do it myself, but I live in apartments so there's nowhere to work on my car. And once I was informed how much work it'd be for me, I said screw that! :) Good luck!

cubert
04-22-2003, 04:58 PM
mines been leaking for awhile..and im always short on cash so im resorting to the add oil every week plan

badmonkeynobanna
04-24-2003, 11:06 PM
I reccomend that any one of you should learn how to do this it's verey easy and takes no time at all. good luk any questions just ask I know.

88AccorD4Life
08-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Im going to do the oil pan gasket tommorow any advice im pretty sure that wheres it leakin from cuz theres no oil on the valve cover

Noles
08-12-2003, 07:58 AM
My only advice is to not torque it down to tight. I think it may be worth paying someone else if you do not have a lift. I did mine twice once on the ground. Then after it still leaked I did it on a lift. Also use some gasket adhesive on the corners of the gasket corners and stick it to the pan.

Dibbs
08-12-2003, 08:03 AM
It's a tad time consuming but to make certain to hold the gasket in place to where all the bolt holes line up, tie some thread around the gasket and pan in between the holes. That along with the gasket sealant will ensure a proper seal (no pinching).

POS carb
08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
it's a pain in the ass for that much money it better come with like a 3 year warranty

lostforawhile
07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
the one on the oil filter housing is a piece of cake just a couple of bolts. make sure you take the relief valve apart and clean the old varnish out of it. the oil pan is a pain but it can be done. i've done it on the ground too. if you take the three bolts out of the header pipe it can be moved out of the way. make sure you use sealer on the ends where the round parts are. i was going to have someone do it but he said that he doesn't fix oil pan gaskets on a honda. he claims that the engine will blow up if there is no oil in the pan. the pump will lose it's prime or something stupid. :lol: i was going to ask him what happened when you change the oil but i forgot to. dumb ass redneck. oh make sure you drain the oil before you remove the pan :stupid: just kidding.

HostileJava
07-15-2005, 01:39 PM
http://www.ascendancy.net/tribalwar/DieThreadDie.jpg

lostforawhile
07-15-2005, 01:53 PM
oops why was this in new posts? this is still a good thread to bring back up for the new guys. this is a common problem in these cars.

88Accord-DX
07-16-2005, 01:28 AM
NO THREAD SHALL DIE WITH LOSTFORAWHILE !!!

3gn86lxi
07-16-2005, 01:32 AM
NO THREAD SHALL DIE WITH LOSTFORAWHILE !!!
Holy shit......2003 bro!

lostforawhile
09-18-2005, 07:46 AM
this should have been a sticky or something,sorry about that, it's a common problem on these cars and i though of posting some info for the newbies. i did a search about itt and nothing came up. sometimes these threads on this stuff need to be brought back up, i know how to change one and i'm sure you do,but a lot of guys on here don't know how.

88Accord-DX
09-18-2005, 07:53 AM
this should have been a sticky or something,sorry about that, it's a common problem on these cars and i though of posting some info for the newbies. i did a search about itt and nothing came up. sometimes these threads on this stuff need to be brought back up, i know how to change one and i'm sure you do,but a lot of guys on here don't know how.
I'll make a how to on it straight out of chilton.

DBMaster
09-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I guess the point of my thread was not clear. I was not questioning my ability to do the job as I have done it before on other cars. I have done a lot of more difficult things as well. In fact, this car never saw the inside of a shop between the time it was out of warranty and when I got the pan gasket changed. Maybe I am just getting old! :)

I got to the point where the job, kids, and other commitments take up so much of my time that sometimes I would rather part with the money than the time. I put the equivalent of a car payment into a money market every month so that if the car blows up I will be a long way toward the price of a new one. So, I figure if I spend a few hundred bucks at the shop once in a while I am ahead of the game. The hardest thing was finding a shop I could trust to treat my "baby" right. This shop sees how clean it is and they treat it accordingly.

Now, to decide whether or not I want to do the #3 timing belt change myself (did the first two) or pay for the luxury of not spending a day getting "intimate" with the engine. Since my next door neighbor has air tools I will probably do it myself again. It is far too much fun to give up.

L8R, dudes!