PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak

wthramann
04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
My Dad called and said his 86 LXi Hatchback is losing power steering fluid into the transmission! There are no external leaks but he has to keep adding fluid. He took the transmission oil filler plug out and the fluid gushed out! Has anyone ever heard of this? He believes that the fluid is leaking past some gears in the speed sensor. Thanks.

ACCORD EX
04-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by wthramann
. He took the transmission oil filler plug out and the fluid gushed out! Has anyone ever heard of this?

isn't that what suppose to happen ?? have oil in the tranny ??

is he loosing alot of fluid ??

MIKE

AZmike
04-22-2003, 10:04 AM
I've never heard of a speed sensor leaking into the transmission before. If he's sure that's the problem another one from a junk would be cheap and pretty easy to install. I'd do a thorough inspection for any other leaks before replacing the speed sensor. Of all of the leaks I've read about here most of them were either the rack, the cooling loop, or the high pressure line between the pump and the rack. I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the other components leaking rather than the speed sensor.

If the car is parked on any incline (or it was when the transmission was filled with oil) a fair amount will run out.

wthramann
04-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Fluid should not "gush" out of the filler hole unless it is overfilled or not on level ground. Drain hole yes. I agree that there have not been any other threads along these lines. It sounded so bizarre. According to service manual there is an o-ring on the speed sensor and I agree the junkyard is the place to look for another sensor. I will advise to change o-ring first to see if that resolves issue. It looks like its a tough access especially for someone with a bad back on the road.

cubert
04-22-2003, 05:15 PM
this doesnt really have anything to do with the problem..but its pretty funny. WE were replacing the power steering lines in my friend mercury sable..and he put too much fluid in. So we went to test it out and whenever we turned the wheel power steering fluid would come shooting out of the thing like 6 or seven feet in the air because he didnt have the cap on it. I swear ive never laughed that hard ever

AccordEpicenter
04-22-2003, 08:14 PM
yeah ps systems are funny like that. My accords ps rack would leak like a MF because i overfilled the freaking reservoir

AZmike
04-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by wthramann
According to service manual there is an o-ring on the speed sensor and I agree the junkyard is the place to look for another sensor. I will advise to change o-ring first to see if that resolves issue.

The speed sensor o-ring doesn't keep the power steering fluid out of the transmission, it just seals the transmission from the outside. If the speed sensor is leaking then a bad internal seal is the cause.

wthramann
04-24-2003, 02:37 AM
You are right Mike. So he should replace the sensor if he wants to stop the leak. Thanks.