PDA

View Full Version : towing information

just_sold_my_vette
04-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I'd like to get some feedback/input on people's towing experience with their 3G.

By towing, I mean, what have people towed behind their car.

I'm trying to investigate feasibility and sanity of towing a small Uhaul about 1500 miles.

Thanks.
JSMV

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-22-2003, 09:53 AM
I've had no problems towing with my 3g as of yet. The picture below is when I moved from central IL to south FL last november (pic was in Clanton, AL). It was about a 1400 mile drive, and the trailer was about 1000 lbs loaded (it's a 4x8 folding utility trailer... about 200lbs empty). Also had about 350lbs cargo in the trunk/back seat, and 2 adults. With 305k miles when we left, she did absolutely perfect and didn't miss a beat! We went slow and took it easy (about 60-65mph in 4th the whole way), but it did just fine... no overheating or anything whatsoever. Made it down here after 2 days of straight driving, and still averaged about 25mpg too!

I also towed this trailer from central IL to Columbus, OH and back with no problems. That was just hauling a desk though, so it wasn't very heavy.

Mine's an LX-i though with manual, so it's got a little more HP and torque than an LX. Should still be pretty close though in towing capacity

:)

just_sold_my_vette
04-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Great. Thanks for that information, very benefitial. I've got a 5 speed and don't plan on going very fast either. Cheers.