PDA

View Full Version : opm coilovers

Scorpion88LX
04-22-2003, 07:17 PM
what coilovers do the opm's use and what are there spring rates.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion88LX
what coilovers do the opm's use and what are there spring rates.

This is what they are.

Imagine you ordered coilovers and they did not come with springs, only the hardware.

You must provide springs to use in them.

Your front springs could be used, but they would bottom out all the time, so don't do that. Your rear stock springs are to wide, so they won't fit.

Is OPM's web site back up?

markmdz89hatch
04-23-2003, 11:47 AM
eh ok, I'm officially confused.:confused: :huh:

Jim, are you saying that they used a set of coil-overs for a different application and used custom springs to make it all work?

Are they the ones that flipped the coil-overs over in the front.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
eh ok, I'm officially confused.:confused: :huh:

Jim, are you saying that they used a set of coil-overs for a different application and used custom springs to make it all work?

Are they the ones that flipped the coil-overs over in the front.

They are supposed to allow a person to take their stock springs and convert to a coilover suspension. But that wouldn't make sense for a vehicle that is equiped with sorta soft springs from the factory. Or let someone pick their spring rates by buying the springs seperate.

Thats how they explained their product to me when I called them last year, they didn't say anything to me about flipping them over in the front.

Thing is if you do the math, $70 for their coilover hardware, $220 for 4 springs (using the prices off ground-controls site for buying springs seperately), I come up with $290. For $40 more you can just get the Ground-Control coilovers in the first place and they'll even let you pick spring rates at that price.

Ok, now their is another benefit for someone to use the opm units. If your car has decent stock spring stiffness AND you upgraded your struts to handle stiffer springs, you can benefit the following way. You can tune the the cars suspension by using corner weighting. The idea is you measure each corner of the car and make adjustments to the coilovers to try and balance the spring rates by raising or lowering each coilover. When you lower a car equipped with coilovers you technically raise it's spring rates. If I'd kept my car I was planning to take it to ground-controls shop in nor cal and have them corner weight it with their coilovers.

Scorpion88LX
04-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Thanx jim
BTW: i got a new scanner and i will try and get the book scanned in before i leave.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanx jim
BTW: i got a new scanner and i will try and get the book scanned in before i leave.

Your welcome and thanks on the scanning.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanx jim

Your welcome and thanks on the scanning.

joker2
04-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Actually, I believe that OPM's coilover setup is designed to except lowering springs, just like my Bec-Techs do........ For my setup, I can use any lowering spring I want.....:D

Jims 86LXI HB
04-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by joker2
Actually, I believe that OPM's coilover setup is designed to except lowering springs, just like my Bec-Techs do........ For my setup, I can use any lowering spring I want.....:D

Yes, any spring that his the right width can be used, problem is the 3rd gen uses wider than normal rear springs, so the opm units would not work for the rears. In any event the stock springs should not be used to go as low as most our members that use coilovers adjust them. Our stock spring rates are only 217lbs and 117lbs, far to soft for coilover duty. Don't forget what your Bec-Tech's really are, using any lowering spring you want, expecially one's that are stiffer, wouldn't work out to well.

joker2
04-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Well, it all depends because when I say I can use any lowering spring, that's true, but I know from experience which lowering springs work best with my setup..... For instance, I'm running Eibach loweing springs right now because they are a little stiffer than the Suspension Technique springs I was running...... I understand now what you were talking about when you said that our rear spring perchs are much wider than the front, see that's where I have the advantage because my Bec-Techs use our factory perchs so that's why I'm able to run lowering springs...... I forgot that the OPMs are designed like regular coilover hardware so you won't be able to use a lowering spring on them...... :tongue:

MoonScryer
04-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Bec-Tec's....*snort* Best use of a hacksaw and a hack job...

joker2
04-30-2003, 04:46 AM
Sorry, I don't get it......:huh:

Scorpion88LX
04-30-2003, 06:12 AM
hey jim what about the struts that opm sells are they worth it and what would be good coilovers to run with them.

bobafett
04-30-2003, 06:22 AM
jim says:

< jim >

if i were you i would stick with koni's at a bare minimum.
ground control coilovers allow you to choose a spring rate, so you can find one that best suites your driving habits... but be warned that konis will have a hard time working with even stock ground control rates (350F,250R). he would then reccomend to get the konis revalved and shortened, or even better, go with revalved bilstein struts. that way you know that your strut will be strong enough, and not wear out in a hurry trying to keep up with stiff springs. :)

< / jim >