PDA

View Full Version : brake question

montman
04-23-2003, 04:20 AM
I recently put in new front pads in my 89 LX.
We unbolted the brake line and as a result got some air in the line. So I bled all 4 brakes as well afterwards.
(I found the correct order via search on here. :D)

Anyways, the brakes "feel" worse than before I changed the pads.
It seems like I have to apply quite a bit more pressure on the brake pedal & push it down farther to stop than before.

Any suggestions/ideas why?

ACCORD EX
04-23-2003, 08:49 AM
air in the system ! ( my opinion ! )
BTW you don't need to unhook the lines to change pads ! ( for future use )

MIKE

AZmike
04-23-2003, 07:57 PM
You now have a lot more pad between the piston and the rotor. If that material is able to flex a little it will give yor brake pedal a little softer feel than it had before with when you had less of the possibly stiffer material. If it's more than just a little bit different than before then I'd agree with Mike that that is still some air in the lines. What method did you use to bleed the system?

montman
04-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
air in the system ! ( my opinion ! )
BTW you don't need to unhook the lines to change pads ! ( for future use )

MIKE

Thanks for the replys.
Yeah I didnt think that you needed to open the lines but I followed a bad "suggestion."
Anyways, maybe I need to bleed again then.

My method used was have someone to push the pedal in 4-5 times, hold it in, open the bleeder valve, fluid runs out, tighten valve back, release pedal, repeat a few times.

This is how I have done it in the past on other cars, if there is a better/more effective way on this car, please let me know.

As for the "feel" of the brakes, I can still stop just fine it just seems that there is a bit more travel in the pedal and a definite softer feel.

I appreciate the help.