PDA

View Full Version : Distributor and TDC #1 cylinder?

jackbronson
04-23-2003, 07:41 AM
I am the original owner of an 89 Accord LXi automatic with a million miles on it (really 194k). After experiencing a loss of power on the local highway, and making it home at not more than 30mph (with the accelerator stomped), I discovered a (US$) dime-sized hole in the top side of the distributor. I can actually run the car and see the counter weights inside the distributor whipping around.

I only need this car to go another couple of months, so I'm going to drop in a used distributor.

Here's the issue: my Chilton's manual gives the following instruction - put the #1 cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke before inserting the new distributor. I know all about what TDC means and the strokes of an engine.

My questions are: is this really necessary? In other words, if I mark the position of the rotor/distributor onto the block, then put the new dist in in the same position, will I be OK?

If not, how am I supposed to determine TDC on the #1, in particular how can I turn the crankshaft?

TIA for all the positive suggestions.

By the way, this car (new radiator, new gas tank, everything still works - except the distributor) goes on the block in May if any of you are in the Boston area and want to buy it.

Brian

88LXi68
04-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you have a hole in the distributor cap. If so, just replace the cap and rotor. Can you get any pics of what you mean?

jackbronson
04-23-2003, 07:56 AM
I know this sounds whacked - the hole is NOT in the distributor cap. It is in the aluminum case of the distributor itself on the top side. I even have little aluminum shavings scattered about the distributor.

I do not have a photo.

Thanks.

mindlos
04-23-2003, 08:00 AM
If all you are doing is replacing the distributor then there is no need to mess with putting #1 cylinder at TDC. That is only necessary if you want to match the crank with the cam. Assuming your timing was set okay before I would make a mark where the dist mates with the head (mark on both). Remove the dist and transfer the mark on it to the new dist and must match in position. Then put the new dist in and match its mark with the one on the head. This would theoretically give you the same timing. You can use a timing light to be sure the ignition timing is right.

Enjoy.

jackbronson
04-23-2003, 08:24 AM
OK, mindlos, thanks alot for confirming what I suspected. The timing on the car was OK prior to this, so I'm just going to swap the distributor and (hopefully) be done with it.

Anybody want to give me a heads up on any potential gotchas with this process?

A side thought: the rotor must spin at half the speed of the cylinders, so that the plug only fires at the top of the compression stroke and not the top of the exhaust stroke...

88LXi68
04-23-2003, 08:31 AM
I have a distributor off my A20A3...cant use it on my DX and cant use it with my LS/Vtec make an offer includes cap.

POS carb
04-23-2003, 11:43 AM
just stab the distributor in it is keyed to the cam it will only go one way.

jackbronson
04-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your response, Eric. I will stab it.

Nice smokeshow photo, by the way.