PDA

View Full Version : SNAP!!...went the engine coolant temp. sensor!?!?!?

Chrome_thangs
04-23-2003, 06:41 PM
The other day my check engine light came on and i got a reading from my ECU of 6. So i go out and buy the sensor to replace it. I go get my 17mm deep socket and start to get the old one out when SNAP! it broke off in the hole! The entire threading part is still in the hole. Oh shit! What do i do now? The thought crossed my mind to try to drill it out. But i might mess up the threading. I only other option would be to replace the housing. What is the exact name of that piece? It's the piece that has the two sensors on it with the thermostat in it. Thermostat housing?

2old_honda
04-23-2003, 08:58 PM
so the threads broke off in the hole? let me ask you this, is the hole open now? could you stick something in there and touch the coolant inside? If that is the case you can get a device called a easy out.

If the hole is closed (where you couldnt stick something through it and touch the coolant inside) what you need to do is take the thermostat housing off, drill a hole into the sensor, and use a easy out in that hole.

a easy out looks like this: http://brokentap.com/images/easy-out.gif you can get them at any hardware store

AccordEpicenter
04-23-2003, 09:25 PM
i think you should go to a jy and see if you can get the entire housing and just swap it do you dont have to dick around with the broken sensord one

Chrome_thangs
04-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Ya, might have to go do that tomorrow.

ACCORD EX
04-24-2003, 03:46 AM
i would drill out using a small diameter head ! if you can't get what 2old_honda pointed out !

MIKE

1987HondaAccord
04-25-2003, 02:45 PM
if you drill a hole, make sure you dont leave any pieces in the fluid. that could mess you up in the future.