PDA

View Full Version : Painting bumpers...

Silver86LX
04-23-2003, 07:37 PM
I was thinking of painting my trim and bumpers sometime soon. The only problem is that my bumpers have already been painted over before. I noticed that the previous owner had painted the bumpers already, but it's chipping off now and looks like shit. Should I somehow carefully scrape the paint off? or sand it? or should I just paint over it. It's just chipping in the front and the back isn't too bad, but I still want to paint it to make sure they match.

Thanks in advance

Mike89Accordcom
04-23-2003, 10:30 PM
if they've been painted like you said then I would sand off the old paint, and repaint. That way it's like new again.

Silver86LX
04-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Also, under the paint that is chipping off on the lower part of the bumpers, it appears to be black. I was just wondering if I had coloured bumpers, or black bumpers originally. I know that in the US the DX had black bubmpers, but in Canada there are no DX's. There's the LX, EX, and EX-i (and of course the SE-i in 1989). I'm just curious as to what my car had originally.

88' Accord Ltd
04-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Your LX is the same as the DX, the EX in Canada is the LX in US and EX-i=LX-i and SE-i=SE-i. So Im guessing that originally the bumpers weren't painted, unless they were replaced or painted down the line for whatever reason.

Silver86LX
05-01-2003, 01:54 PM
What grit sand paper should I use to sand the paint off?

Nate2310
05-01-2003, 06:07 PM
I've used 220 and it worked great

rick_spiff
05-02-2003, 10:46 AM
The bumpers on most cars are painted above and below the trim strip to match the body color. Sand with 220 and paint.

btw, I did mine "bumper black" and it looks pretty good. Hides little nicks and scratches too...

89AccordLXI666
05-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Yeah I acually painted my front bumper black, cuz I have an 86 LX and the back bumper matches the car color which is burgandy red and the front of coarse was just plain old greyish black, so i desided to repaint them a gloss black and they came out looking so clean and good.... I used 220 sandpaper and it came out great.... Good luck man... u should see some gret results out of your paintjob... trust me it will look sweet... lataz

Silver86LX
05-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all of the advice :). But I've got one more quick question. If I use bumper paint, do I have to use a primer first? Or do I just sand, clean, and paint.

Thanks again.