PDA

View Full Version : rack n pinion

n_jay78
04-24-2003, 08:54 AM
How much do u think it would cost to get my rack n pinion, upper and lower ball joints replaced. i know it would be more beneficial for me to do it on my own, but i am too ignorant as far as suspension work goes to do it myself or without any supervision :crying: so what do i do.:banghead:

markmdz89hatch
04-24-2003, 10:25 AM
reach real far down in ur pockets...

...that steering rack is not a cheap job.

the ball joints on the other hand are not that expensive. Just call around to local shops and get a quote. Tell 'em exactly what you want done and to give you a price. Also ask what brand b/j's they'll be using, and what thier warranty and the product warranty is. For the rack, be sure to ask if they'll be installing a re-man'ed rack, or a new. If new, is it a genuine honda, or an oem spec aftermarket.

ACCORD EX
04-24-2003, 12:43 PM
rack n pinion ! ouch ! that hurts ! :D

MIKE

DBMaster
04-24-2003, 01:54 PM
It depends upon how high quality of a rebuilt rack you want. you can order Honda rebuilt racks online for abour $313. The honda shop in town I trust uses a rebuilder he likes that also sells them for about $300. He says that Honda's rebuilt rack is the best, bar none, and that he would install one for me if I chose to purchase it on my own.

I called NAPA and they sell a rebuilt rack for $150. What the differences are between that one and one from Honda, I don't know. I did look at the ones on eBay that someone posted here recently. They were $100 and said something about "stainless sleeved." Apparently, this means that something inside is fucked and had to be sleeved. Again, I have no idea if this makes for a good, long lasting rack unit or not.

The local shop gets something like $250 for labor to install. It would be quite a job indeed without a rack as you have to pull the exhaust head pipe and center beam to get the thing out.

n_jay78
04-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Dude, I know. This job is gonna suck so bad. It's bad to the point to where my camber is off on my car and there is no way for me to fix it or is there? ::confused:

DBMaster
04-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Steering rack problems would cause you toe problems. Ball joints would be more the culprit for camber problems, unless your camber has been off from day one like mine was before I installed the camber kit.

Anyway, I know about the steering rack affecting the toe because I just pulled my tie rod ends to replace both boots on my steering rack. Even though I measured before pulling them I still had to take it in for an alignment to fix the toe on both sides when I got done.

88WhiteLX-i
04-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Some guy slammed into my car the last snow storm we had, hje hit my driver's side tire and bent the tire rod into a 45" angle and fucked up the ball joint and steering rack. The insurance is paying for pretty much everything except the deductable. But the steering rack they had to buy new and that shit cost $620 bucks brand new from Honda, not rebuilt.

MoonScryer
04-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Stainless sleeved refers to the parts in them that were originally nickle sleeved copper that stretched out over time; I believe it was the outer arm pieces.
I just said to hell with it and am getting a manual rack :D

CARBurn
05-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Moonscryer:

May I ask where did you get the manual steering rack from?

I'm looking for one too.

CARBurn
05-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Nevermind, I searched and found a previous link for carotman selling manual rack.