PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler? To do or not to do....

AccordSi
04-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help here...It's really hot down here south or the border, and I've been toying with the idea of getting and oil cooler. I don't have an oil temp gauge but I can just see how my water temp gauge rises especially on a hot day in traffic. At nights it's real cool and the needle just sits about quarter way.
I've heard and read all sort of varying views about this topic....so now I'm asking you guys to help me out.
Yay or Nay....

carotman
04-24-2003, 05:48 PM
The B20A already has an oil cooler from the Factory (well mine does have one)

Is your rad in good condition?

A20A1
04-24-2003, 06:01 PM
get it and let us know what adapter fits onto the stock filter holder.

I was looking at the B&M... but I just don't know if it would fit or not.

EDIT: urr damnit... you have the B20 i forgot.... are the oil filter mounts the same?

AccordSi
04-24-2003, 06:08 PM
It's the B&M that I want...the filter we run falls within the B&M 20mm import spec (huh?). Or so I've been told. Before I became aware of the B20A's ability and independence, I used to order a Prelude oil filter at the counters. The B&M oil coolers fit the Prelude too.

And yeah Carot...my radiator is good and tell me more about the oil cooler from the factory. Is it the black metal box on the block under the intake manifold or have I been duped.

carotman
04-24-2003, 06:53 PM
The black metal box is for the PVC system.

The oil cooler is between the block and the oil filter itself. There are 2 small coolant hoses that plug into that part (one inlet and one outlet)

MAybe some countries didn't get the oil cooler. Check of you see coolant hoses going to that part of the oil filter holder. I will take a picture of those tomorrow It might even fit on the A20A :)

AccordSi
04-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey thanks bud...I'll check it out in the morning.

Grant2k
04-24-2003, 10:08 PM
as far as i know all hondas use the same filter so whatever fits that should fit the A20. i know they are starting to use different filters in the past few years, but i would think that any engine you can or would want to put into a 3gee will have the same filter.

DBMaster
04-25-2003, 07:17 AM
I have a one of the old style Odysseys with the 2.3 liter. It uses the same oil filter as my Accord. It has the oil cooler mentioned above with the two coolant hose hookups. It looks like it just screws down onto the oil filter mount and provides a new mount. It adds a couple of inches of distance away from the engine. It could probably be modified to work on the 3g.

However, I have never noticed and engine cooling issue, even on 110 degree days here. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

89SE-ICoupe
04-25-2003, 08:19 AM
BEWARE!!! Do not use coolant hoses, or hoses rated for radiator fluid, on an oil cooler. They are not rated for the pressure and temperature that engine oil is under. I am speaking from experience. Two months ago I installed an oil cooler on my wife's car, a Pontianc "assfire", and the guy at the auto parts store insisted that coolant hoses would work. I reluctantly tried them and both hoses blow after about 500 miles. Luckley it happened while I was driving, because I shut the car off as soon as the oil light came on, thus saving the motor. I ordered some Spectre steel braided high pressure/temp. hose from summit racing and resolved the problem. Also, rubber hose for a transmission oil cooler would work.

RCracer
04-25-2003, 01:57 PM
Here is a photo of my B20a2 engine.
The factory oil cooler is the thing the oil filter is screwed onto.
I have circled it in the pic below.

AccordSi
04-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah...I checked it today and it does have the two coolant lines. I'll just play it out and see....I'll borrow a gauge from a friend of mine and see how the oil temp settles before I do anything