PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Sticks Help Me!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Ok this has been going on for like a week or two. When I press the gas pedal, I push it down a little bit and then it gets tough to push it so takes more pressure to push it to the floor. It kinda clicks. I push it about 1/4 of the way and then it gets tough and clicks when I push harder, then after the click it pushes like normal. But sometimes the throttle sticks where that click happens so it accerates. I changed the position of the throttle return spring and it's in a really good spot and I don't think that's the problem. I hope to god someone on here knows how to fix it b/c I will have to take it to a shop b/c I'm totally clueless on this one here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

-Mike

A20A1
04-25-2003, 12:41 PM
all I can say is make sure you're not bending the cable to tight... and have someone on the inside press the pedal a few times while you watch the linkage and return spring...

is the part that clamps down onto the throttle cable end loose inside the throttle linkage?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 12:44 PM
The part that clamps onto the cable and attaches onto the pie slice looking linkage is a little loose. It wiggles a little bit. I'm scared to drive it b/c I don't want anything to happen.

Good news though I got the hoodscoop on today!!!! :D

ACCORD EX
04-25-2003, 01:40 PM
i would check it at the engine bay !the whole wire !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 06:59 PM
I was talking with DXHATCHBACK and he thought that maybe the throttle cable was unlubed or it was sticking near the throttle linkage.

CARBurn
04-26-2003, 07:15 PM
I kind of had the same problem when I had the weber, I had to keep adjusting the position of the throttle return bracket and the throttle return spring. Eventually I positioned it to where it wouldn't stick when I pressed the accelerator pedal down. Have you checked if the spring binds when you pull the throttle lever from idle to WOT?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-26-2003, 07:28 PM
I think I have an idea now. When I had the throttle cable put in the guy had it where the pie linkage wasn't straight on with the cable so I thought I would fix it and I unhooked the pie bracket and moved some washers and maybe just maybe it's too far over and that little nub that sticks out from the other side of the pie is catching on something. (the bolt thing that holds the cable, the nub is that but on the other side) I just pictured that in my head and then I thought about the time it started doing this and it was about that time so maybe it is the problem. I'll check tomorrow.

CARBurn
04-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I know what your talking about the little piece where the throttle cable goes through? You should only need about two or three washers on the other side or you'll get binding when the throttle cable is pulling on it. Make sure you make room for the cotter pin that goes in that bolt.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-26-2003, 08:01 PM
I didn't mean washers on the little bolt thing. I meant I took the whole pie linkage thing off and moved the washers around. I would put money on it, it has to be it b/c that's the only thing that makes sense. I have a great spot for my spring so that's not it and the cable is new so it just has to be that thing I said.

CARBurn
04-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Oh, well putting enough washers on behind the throttle plate is just so you don't have binding with any of the linkages that lie behind the plate. You want just enough to keep it from sticking but also you want to be able to tighten it with the locknut securely.
I'll guess you'll find out tomorrow, just let me know what you find.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-26-2003, 08:21 PM
I will check it out tomorrow. The reason I think this is the problem is b/c I took one or two washers from behind it and put them in front of it. So it might be binding with something. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Alright I put that washer back where it belonged and it fixed the problem. So yeah anyone that has a weber make sure that the throttle linkage isn't too close to the carb.

A20A1
04-28-2003, 04:36 PM
or you could always do this.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-29-2003, 08:44 AM
I would but that's a lot of work and I fixed it and it works like new again. So no more scary moments while driving.