PDA

View Full Version : A/c

wthramann
04-25-2003, 11:26 AM
The A/C is not working as well as it used to a few years ago so I thought it about time to check it out. I see lots of bubbles in the sight glass. I thought I would add a can of R12 that I have to see if that improves the condition. Before doing so I want to learn a few things. What should the pressure be on the low side when the ambient temperature is 50 degrees F? Should I add refrigerant until the bubbles are gone or at a set pressure? Should the can be held upright when adding to the low pressure side? Other than wearing protective gear any other precautions I should take?

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-25-2003, 07:53 PM
I'm no expert, but 25 psig approx. suction press. sounds close. Just add ref. till the bubbles are gone. Holding the can upright will add the ref in a gas state and will take awhile since the ref boils off. Adding the ref in a liquid state to the suction can be bad if too much is added at once and doesn't change to a gas, liquid don't compress very well, and the compressor could be damaged.
With a gauge manifold you can use ths valve to meter the liquid, but if you're using the adapter for a 12-16 oz can it's hard to limit the amount of liquid. I guess you could quickly invert the can, then immediatly turn it back upright, so as to just add a very small amount of liquid and should safely boil off before reaching compressor. Wait about 30-45 sec and quickly flip again. Adding just vapor is the best way to do it, only problem is as it boils off the temp / pressure in the can drop. Drops too low and nothing goes into the a/c system.
Precautions... safety glasses for sure, don't try add ref to high side ( can't anyway, diff size 3/16"), be careful!!!

-Steve

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Uhh... Could remove it and roll the windows down. That's what I'm thinking about doing b/c I don't use my A/C anyways b/c it wastes gas.

ACCORD EX
04-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Uhh... Could remove it and roll the windows down. That's what I'm thinking about doing b/c I don't use my A/C anyways b/c it wastes gas.

when you live in a hot place 30 > 40 'c you won't give a shit about gas ! :D

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Well I guess but it get's pretty hot and humide in MN but not as hot as in Egypt I'm sure.

wthramann
04-26-2003, 04:07 AM
Thanks Steve you provided useful information. I found another board: aircondition.com which is also helpful. I will wait until it is warmer when I might actually use the A/C and the flow out of the can will be better. I plan to add in gas state only so upright it is although I did read about purging fill tube of air with refrigerant in liquid state first.