PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

infecto
04-25-2003, 02:38 PM
Just wanted the opinion of you folks before I go out an take off the starter. My problem is that I cannot start the car, it just clicks. There is power but I was wondering if it could still be the battery or maybe it really is the starter?

AccordEpicenter
04-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Id bet it really is the starter if you still have a good battery

ACCORD EX
04-25-2003, 11:38 PM
does all lights work fine ! if yes >

1. check the out put of the battery when car is off shouldn't be less than 12 V ( battery is fine )

2. check the out put of the battery when car is @ idle shouldn't be less than 14 V ( alternator is fine )

3. check the both battery terminal and engien ground .

4. check teh little wire going to the starter ( B/W wire ) see if it is loose . ( if it's not loose proceed to next step )

5. take this little wire off , turn on the ignition , connet a wire between the + of the battery to the starters terminal ( where the wire used to hook up ) if the starter turns and the car comes on ( WARNING : once the car is on disconnect the wire immediatly or you will damage the starter )

IF the starter turns on , so there is an open in the B/W wire , or therr is something wrong with ignition switch ! ( Spray some WD40 in there it really helped me )

IF the starter doesn't turn replace it !

hope this helps ! good luck !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Sounds like a common starter failure. I'm thinking about getting gold plated battery terminals (for a better connection and plus my positive terminal nut is stripped) Does anyone have these? Probably stinger or etc... Do you think it's worth the money?