PDA

View Full Version : brake booster

1987HondaAccord
04-25-2003, 03:06 PM
i think my brake booster maybe going out. I have done the test where you turn off the car and then press on the pedal. I gets hard, but if i push a little harder it goes down further. could it be that i'm just pushing to hard? Is there a way to increase the amount of "boost"? Is there another way of checking?

thanks for your replies in advance!!

DanG86LX
04-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Not sure u've done the booster check correctly, cuz it needs vacuum = engine on! The way u checked it might prove that is air in the brake system or some fluid leak..
To check the vacuum booster, pump the brake pedal with the engine off until you've bled off all the vacuum from the unit. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. You should feel the pedal depress slightly as engine vacuum enters the booster and pulls on the diaphragm. No change? Then check the vacuum hose connection and engine vacuum. If okay, the problem is in the booster and the booster needs to be rebuilt/replaced.

SiR
04-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Many times the reason the booster went out on you is cuz the the master cylinder started leaking into the brake booster and cuz the booster to fail. You might have to replace both. You'll findout when you have to remove the booster if you need to. The shaft will be coated with brake fluid, not good.

P.S.: Does it require more force to brake when the engine is running and doe sit make any noise when you press the brakes when also the engine is running?