PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stalling

Qpats
04-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I have an accord 1989 LX with a manual transmission.
When I start my car it works fine. It idles between 2000 and 2500 when cold I think...

When it get warmer it will stay around 900, 1000 and as soon as I press on the clutch and stop at a stop light the engine stalls. I have to press on the gaz pedal to make it rev higer so it wont stall. As long as I am driving, it is fine but as soon as I get close to a stop light and the car slows down it wants to stall. It is awkward but sometimes if I slow down staying in gear with my foot on the clutch it will die but SOMETIMES if I slow down and put it in neutral and just use the brakes it doesnt stall as often...

Today I bought something to clean the fuel system and carburetor and put that stuff in my gaz tank and it ran a lil better at first and a couple of hours later it didnt stall.
It is weird because it looks like it runs ok for a while and as soon as I want to stop it can stall. Do you have any suggestions?

By the way I put brakes on my car and we also bled them but all the time my brake pedal can go all the way to the floor but right after I will press on it again and it seems to be back to normal.
what could it be? the master cylinder or something?

Thanks!!!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 07:50 PM
Well try Seafoam and if that doesn't work then get a Weber!!!! Oh forget the seafoam.

ACCORD EX
04-25-2003, 11:42 PM
i would check for vacuum leaks ! specially teh master cylinder's !
about the brake pedal it's propably there is still air in the system !
BTW YOU DON'T NEED TO remove brake line's to replace brakes ( except for replacing the caliper it self !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-25-2003, 11:50 PM
I might have a vacuum leak, but I tried listening for it but there would have to be a miracle for me to hear a vac. leak over my engine purrrr.

shepherd79
04-30-2003, 10:23 AM
check your coolant level too.

Qpats
05-03-2003, 10:10 AM
So, if it dies as soon as I slow down and stops and it can be a vacuum leak?

ACCORD EX
05-03-2003, 11:24 PM
yes ! and check coolant level as Alex suggested !

MIKE

88LXDUDE16
05-05-2003, 06:13 AM
i kinda have the same problem but its not when i go to stop its when i turn. it just stalls! flat out dies but turns right over when i turn the key. any help would be nice. i was going down the high way it just pfft! and died i heard the sound of it going to die again and i put in the clutch and started it and it was fine again. i am soo lost on what it is.

njbeach
05-31-2003, 10:20 AM
I seem to have the same problem with my 86 Accord LX. It starts fine then stalls when I slow down to stop or make a turn. Unfortunately, the problem appears somewhat intermittent (it stalls less if it's been sitting for a few days) and no mechanic has been able to diagnose the problem. They tried cleaning the carb and gas filter but it still happens. I have driven it problem free for several hours at highway speeds but when I get to the back roads it begins stalling again. When it stalls, it starts right up but will stall again as soon as I slow down or turn again. At a light I have to keep it revved to prevent it from stalling.

I also have an intermittent highway driving problem where I lose most of my power--it won't stall but suddenly it won't go over 30 mph. I don't know if this is related to the other problem?

Anyone have any ideas?
thanks

DanG86LX
05-31-2003, 09:15 PM
njbeach, Looks like an idle prob, does ur car idle?

njbeach
06-01-2003, 08:32 AM
When I first start it up, in general, it idles fine. Driving it is fine until I start to slow down. Then the engine cuts off entirely. I can re-start it with no problem, but if I'm still stopped (at a light) it won't maintain the idle unless I keep it revved.

MrBen
06-01-2003, 09:40 AM
I used to have the same problem. What I did was use carb cleaner several times and blew all that shit out of there. I think I used two cans. Anyway, also be positive you have no vacuum leaks. Also, I had the mixture adjusted-- mine was LEAN. That might be your problem. Ever since then I havent had any problems.

DanG86LX
06-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah, carb cleaner is the first option. Remove the brass screen on top of carb, u can see 2 brass pipes pointing upwards at an angle (~1/4"), so called "inner (float bowl) vents". With engine at idle, spray a lot of cleaner in the pipes. Cleaner is mixed with gas in float bowl and will be sucked through the idle passages and hopefully clean it.
If that doesnt work, u may have to remove carb top hat (6 screws) and remove the gunk deposited in float bowl.
A common prob with 86-87 carb 3gs. When I had this prob, my gas filler pipe was rusted and dirt and dust made it through filters in carb bowl!

MrBen
06-01-2003, 11:44 AM
The filler pipe is also on recall. I'd go get that taken care of too.

Dumped86LX
06-01-2003, 02:20 PM
I have an 86 Lx that had the same problem. I tried new fuel filters, gas treatments adjusting idle, pcv valve then finally i tried the fuel pump. I guess it was just barely starting to go out so it only did it every once in a while but now i haven't had any problems yet. I just put it in yesterday its only a 50 dollar part if u can handle that.

njbeach
06-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I have already had the filler pipe replaced (yes, it had rusted out) as a Honda recall and had been wondering if crap from that had gotten into the tank. One detail I forgot to say is that when the car stalls as I turn or stop, it dies very abruptly, without warning.

I'll look at the carb again and the fuel pump, too. Thanks again.

jillindc
08-03-2003, 06:07 PM
It sounds like I am having the same problem...but it's only happened a couple of times...so far. I'm teaching someone to drive stick, and for a couple of miles afterwards it stalls out when I stop or slow down. It seems as if the rpms drop a little too low, below 800 or so, and then it just chugs out and dies, but starts up again fine. The thing is, it only lasts for a couple of miles after he drives it (or tries to drive), then it's able to hold 1000 rpms at idle without a problem.

We could just have one of us drive, but if there's a solution to this, it would be good.:help: