PDA

View Full Version : This ruined my day.

Morpheus
04-26-2003, 01:05 PM
My car has been leaking oil for a little while and I just ignored it for a couple weeks.

I checked the level today and it is a tad low so I know I have a problem.

The last time I changed the oil was at my friends garage and him and another kid did it while I rotated the tires.

So I called him up today at work and he said when he was putting the drain bolt back on the thread was stripped from whoever did it last (I think some cheap Jiffy Lube place). He said they must have forced the bolt back on and it must have been the last place cause it was fine before.

Does this mean I need a new oil pan? How much does that cost?Is it hard to put back on?

Then again it did take almost 3 weeks for the level to get low, so do you guys think that it might just be more cost effective to top it off every once in a while? I'm planning on getting some kind of a B series eventually anyway.

shepherd79
04-26-2003, 01:43 PM
you don't need new oil pan. go to autoparts store and get oversized self threading bolt.
i paid for one at autozone $2.99
it will look like your old bolt except it is just a little bigger.

Morpheus
04-26-2003, 04:16 PM
thanx!

AccordEpicenter
04-26-2003, 08:42 PM
you can try that, ive tried every trick for my stripped plug and eventually i needed a new pan... it depends how bad its stripped

ACCORD EX
04-27-2003, 12:49 AM
you'll have to drain the oil ! you can change it or use the same oil if you pour it in a clean thing !

MIKE

YK86
04-27-2003, 09:28 PM
I usually use an oversized 14mm or a double oversized 1/2 inch. Mine held up fine for 1.5 years and it's still fine. If you go with that, make sure 1 turn right, 1/4 back, so it seats properly and lets the metal shavings out.

DBMaster
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
If the oversize bolt fails they make an oil plug that looks kind of like a rubber balloon. You push it in with a tool and once in it pops open and plugs the drain hole. A friend of mine used one of these things on an oil pan that was messed up from a really big speed bump. On his car the oil drain plug face down and in front so it got totally whacked on the speed bump.

The oversize pluf ought to work, though, if all you are dealing with is stripped threads.

ACCORD EX
04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
if you fix it this time ( hopefully ) next time you change oil use sucking ! ( in any gas station )

MIKE