PDA

View Full Version : Review: Tanabe Hyper Medallion

AccordSi
04-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Ok what can I really say about this exhaust. Now I know that Tanabe doesn't officially make an exhaust for our cars. I came by mine because of a great deal....well I put it on. It was a matter of cutting the piping to custom fit the accord. I was in luck because the pipe size is relatively the same size that I was running save a couple millimeters. I used the mandrel bends on the curves for smoother flow, then eventually hooked up up the barrel. The barrel is huge.
Pleased with the job at the muffler shop, I took it for a spin. The sound is awesome. More bass than the whine of some barrels midway through the power band. It does sound very throaty. Initial thoughts is that it was not as efficient on the top end as my universal Arospeed bullet style muffler. I took it onto the highway, and was amazed by the actual torque improvements. It pull does feel awesome, almost like the car has amazing power that it can release all at once. I can take it to 4000rpm in the first 3 gears and get small tire chirp, I imagined taking it to 7200rpm where I normally shift at while racing.
I came to a redlight and tried it. Went through four gears and I smiled, it had power on top too but it also had more torque than the other muffler. Healthy chirps too (I had stopped getting the chirp in 3rd).
All in all I am very pleased with it.

AccordEpicenter
04-28-2003, 11:05 AM
i took off my muffler the other night to see if i can get an improvement, and it sounded awesome but i lost sooo much torque it was unbelieveable with not much more top end so i ended up putting it back on... now my torque kicks ass. if you would sit it in it you wouldnt believe it was a 2.0 liter old 4 cyl... it feels like a v6 almost, but with no top end.