PDA

View Full Version : expert help from one of the superior members por favor

DarkkManX
04-29-2003, 08:59 AM
not to shun anyone who is new or anything...i'll take any and all advice i get...as long as it sounds like my car won't blow up as a result..:mad:

my car runs fine for about 30 minutes after it is warmed up.The first thing that happens>>> the rpm gauge jumps up and down (0-1500 rpm) for some unknown reason.>>>as a result of this my car revs real hard after i stop. Picture being at a stop light with a bunch of cars behind you when the light turns green and your car just starts revving all hard. they think youre F'ing around. So my first Q is "Why is my RPM needle jumping and why does that translate to NO GO"?

the second issue...not sure if it is related:confused:... is that sometimes one of these NY stoplights change to red in a second and I am forced to stop abruptly in order to avoid recieving a ticket from the MAN:flipa:. When I perform this stopping activity my car rewards me with a clunk (like the engine shifted forward in the block..use your imagination) and a bonus yellow engine light illuminates my cabin. So my second Q is could my engine be dying? or my mounts F'ed up?

Maybe the problem is I drive a geriatric car that is beginning to show its age?

I've recently changed the spark plugs and wires and air filter. the plugs are bosch platinums +2. The Autozone guy said they deliver a "larger spark" which i suppose translates to HP in some unseen way. I have been visiting the site alot and I used to post too but i lost my numerical password and have been just reading posts since last feb when I got my car. I did a website too and have pics and links and all that stuff too. just need to host it.

If anyone could help me out with my clunker let me know. I love my car a lot and I don't want to be forced to get a sentra with an infiniti engine in it to be a part of this sentra posse around here in brooklyn. I like being a rebel with a 15 year old HB.

Thanks.
Darkk

anchovies
04-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Your idle problem could be air in your cooling system or dirty or loose fast idle valve. Just do a search on 'erradic idle' 'idle problems' blah.
2nd problem might be the mounts. Pull your hand brake and put the car in 1st/drive. Step on it a little and look if your engine shifts too much. Or just check the mounts for leak/deterioration.
3rd, no it doesn't deliver a larger spark and doesn't "make HP". It restores your loss power iff your old plugs are a gonner.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-29-2003, 04:36 PM
So the tach jumps all over the place? My brothers integra did the same thing. It didn't do it constantly just sometimes. I fixed it, it was the ignition module and ignition coil.

DarkkManX
04-30-2003, 02:44 AM
Now that i think of it...
I also have a problem when pulling off. if I step on the gas too soft it just revs harder as i press harder with no go...and if i press on it comparatively harder, I hear a grinding sound. My ex's 626 made the sound a long time ago and they mechanic guy said it was a broken axle...does that sound accurate?

Originally posted by anchovies
Your idle problem could be air in your cooling system or dirty or loose fast idle valve. Just do a search on 'erradic idle' 'idle problems' blah.
2nd problem might be the mounts. Pull your hand brake and put the car in 1st/drive. Step on it a little and look if your engine shifts too much. Or just check the mounts for leak/deterioration.
3rd, no it doesn't deliver a larger spark and doesn't "make HP". It restores your loss power iff your old plugs are a gonner.

i'm relatively new to doing work on my car. i have the haynes and chilton book which helps sometimes when i can understand what the f i'm reading. i'm sure it won't say "if you have air in your cooling system then do this..." but i'll do a search on it anyway. possibly someone else has had this problem. thanks for that advice.

now for the mounts. how exactly do i check them? aren't they under the engine? i don't have the pulley doo hickey with the chains to lift my engine out. and how much do mounts typically run? if i have to repair them...and are they easy to do once you have the engine out?

sorry for the long post, but this is driving me crazy. yous guys are da best.:super:

DarkkManX
04-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
So the tach jumps all over the place? My brothers integra did the same thing. It didn't do it constantly just sometimes. I fixed it, it was the ignition module and ignition coil.

by "fixing it" you mean that you replaced it or repaired it?

thanks a ton.

AZmike
04-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by DarkkManX

now for the mounts. how exactly do i check them? aren't they under the engine? i don't have the pulley doo hickey with the chains to lift my engine out. and how much do mounts typically run? if i have to repair them...and are they easy to do once you have the engine out?

sorry for the long post, but this is driving me crazy. yous guys are da best.:super:

The mounts that tend to go bad on our cars are in front of the engine and the mount on the belt side. Either one can be replaced with the engine in the car. You just use a jack to support the engine until the new mount is in place. Check the front mount for leaking fluid and the mount on the belt side for cracked deteriorated rubber.

You axle isn't broken if your car is still driveable, but the CV joints in the axle may be worn out.

YK86
04-30-2003, 11:28 AM
The idle problem like Anchovie said sounds like the fast idle valve which I find is common on the 3rd gen. The clunk could be the mounts, a worn out suspension part (like a ball joint), or the CV joint (but that would probably click when making turns).

DarkkManX
05-01-2003, 08:05 AM
nothing clicks when I turn. I know for a fact that my suspension is Sh*t because the ride quality is sh*t. It isn't stable thru turns. i feel every pothole. It pulls to the right alot...How do you know exactly if it is time to replace the suspension?

i did the search on bleeding the cooling system. found the how to...thanks, doing that tomorrow. I messed around with the fast idle valve a couple months ago because my rpm needle kept jumping up and down, but mostly stays down...so i thought that by doing that, that my car won't cut off...say in traffic or at some other important time. but i'll tighten that. i think my range is supposed to be between 750-1000. when i start it up it is at 1500...maybe too high.

i think it may be a hose as well that is faulty because when i step on the gas, I hear a whistle who's pitch goes up as i press down on the pedal or speed increases.

also does driving in the "2" gear on an automatic most of the time because your "d4" gear is sh*t mess up anything?

i know i have alot of Q's but I think they all reside under the perf. section, right?

thanks 89lxi4dr for that. now what weight jack should i get? they support different weights right? is a 2000 lb jack ok for the engine?

you guys :super:.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-01-2003, 08:17 AM
I replaced the ignition module and coil. And if the car is pulling to one side then your alignment needs to be checked and fixed.

anchovies
05-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Check your suspension by pushing down on one side and then let it bounce. If it bounces more than twice then it's time for a suspension. Also visually inspect the springs. You can sometimes see it broken or cracking.

DarkkManX
05-02-2003, 12:57 PM
thanks for all the input...i will do all my checking tomorrow, and post my update regarding my issue(s)

89NinjaAccordLX
05-04-2003, 06:54 AM
If the engine light/clunk started AFTER you got new sparkplugs then I'd say it was that. bosch was designed for German cars. They are good plugs and work well (when in the right car). NGK and Nippon-Denso are the only type plugs I would ever put into a honda. Put in Champion or Bosch and usually it just won't run the same. Drop in some colder NGK plugs and its all good. However, if your engine light and stuff was acting up before you got the plugs then this post is a complete waste and hopefully you'll have at least learned something to tell others.

AZmike
05-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by DarkkManX

thanks 89lxi4dr for that. now what weight jack should i get? they support different weights right? is a 2000 lb jack ok for the engine?

Since the engine is only part of the car's weight just about any jack should be fine. A jack rated to 1000 lb or more should be safe.

netfreak
05-05-2003, 07:02 PM
The revving problem may be attributed to a dead transmission. You say its an automatic? I myself am having problems with my tranny making constant knocking below 3000rpm and not really making my car move.

Try flushing the transmission.