PDA

View Full Version : car overheating?? not sure maybe bad thermostat

Cmac-19
04-30-2003, 10:55 AM
ok heres the thing, lately ive been driving and noticed that the thermostat needle rises all the way to the red.....its like as if my fans dont even kick on.....you guys have any input on this

Microstreak
04-30-2003, 11:19 AM
all the way to red? hmm, ive had some problems whre it would go up to say 75 percent, but itd take a while to calm down. im always cautious if it goes evn a tad above the mid point, as for you, do not drive it in the red, its really bad for the engine. And are you sure the fans don't kick in? like say u park the car for 4-5 mins, they should kick in. try that at least.

ACCORD EX
04-30-2003, 12:11 PM
if don't kick or kick late ! change thermostat !

MIKE

anchovies
04-30-2003, 10:53 PM
also check your fans ..might be a crapped sensor. also check if you still have anymore coolatn

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-30-2003, 11:25 PM
If it's getting that hot just from regular driving around, then it's the thermostat (assuming the coolant is full to the proper level). The fans don't even need to come on while your driving along cuz there's air moving through the radiator and that keeps it cool. The fans don't kick on until you've been idling for a few minutes with no air moving through the radiator. I'd say just change the thermostat. The do wear out, and it's only about $5.00 for a new one and it's easy to change.

88LX-iSedan
05-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Maybe fan sensor or might need to bleed it ..Oh yeah could be the thermostat as well

POS carb
05-01-2003, 01:38 PM
try a few things.
if your thermostat is stuck your car will overheat more at higher rpms/ while u drive.
a bad fan setup will cause overheating at idle
just jump the sensor for now.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
05-01-2003, 04:00 PM
it just happened to me 3 days ago...trust me its the thermostat....