PDA

View Full Version : I sooo hate starters...

cdscowboy
04-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Okay, my car was having problems starting. Some of the time, it wouldn't make any sound, others it would click, others it would crank but not start the engine, and on occasion it'd actually start right up. GRRR.
So today, I went to go to the bank, and I hit my remote start so my car would warm up before I drove it. It tried starting twice, cranking both times, but it didn't work. I wasn't too surprised due to it's history.
So I go out there and try and start it manually (ie: with the key;)). Cranks, but kinda slowly. It was wierd. I pull out my big ass Maglite and smack the starter a couple times, but that didn't help either. So I checked my battery to see if had a full charge. Yep. I checked the connections from the battery to the starter. Good there, too.
Luckily, I had gone to the j/y a few weeks ago, and I picked up a starter! So I was like "fuck it. I'll just put the other one on and see what happens." There sure is a lot of hoses down there that really enjoy getting in the way!:flip: Okay, so it's kind of a pain to replace, but a hell of a lot cheaper than having Honda do it. I eventually got the starters swapped and went to turn the key...nothing. I almost lost it. Then I looked in the engine bay again and saw a wire I had forgotten to plug back in.:D :rolleyes: So I'm retarded. It started right up after I plugged that in.
I get to the bank, get some milk (the bank's in a Fred's), and come back out. I go to start my car. CRANK CRANK CRANK...I was like "seriously...wtf...gimme a break here." So I just sat there trying for probably 5-10 mins before it started.
So it's kinda doing the same thing it was with the previous starter, so I'm beginning to doubt if it's the starter. You guys have any ideas?????? Any help is appreciated!! :)

offthahook
04-30-2003, 07:42 PM
MAIN RELAY??

2old_honda
04-30-2003, 08:08 PM
so does it crank like normal, but not start? or does the starter make different noises and do other weird crap?

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-30-2003, 08:30 PM
If it's the main relay it will still crank and crank just like normal, but since it isn't getting any fuel (the relay turns on the fuel pump), it won't start up. Listen for the little 'click' when you first turn the key on, then about 2 seconds later it should click again about the time all the dash lights go out. If that's not it, might be the pump itself, or a plugged filter, or a bad coil, or other things, LOL.

The starters on these cars seem to last a long time. Mine lasted 298k, and still worked fine but was starting to do weird things sometimes. If the relay or something was bad though and you've had to crank it alot, it may have burned up.

ACCORD EX
05-01-2003, 12:01 AM
cranking normally without starting > fuel , or spark problem !
cranking slowly > engine grounds , battery , battery terminals , starter wires ?

MIKE

cdscowboy
05-01-2003, 01:07 AM
yeah, when it does actually crank (w/o starting), it generally cranks normally. I'm wondering if maybe my injectors are bad, or if i have a clogged fuel filter (i've never replaced it). I don't know...and it looks like a pain to replace the fuel filter! I guess that'd be a good place to start...probably needs to be done anyways.

Thanks for the help fellas! :wave: Let me know if you have any more ideas...this has me stumped!

carotman
05-01-2003, 01:19 AM
it could also be a bad ignition switch

ACCORD EX
05-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by carotman
it could also be a bad ignition switch

it cranks , so i don't think so !

cdscowboy > replace fuel filters , spark plugs ! these are the most cheap thing that can cause this kinda of trouble !

then check the spark plug wires and coil next !

good luck !

MIKE

cdscowboy
05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
I just tried it again to no avail. My friend's gonna take me to get a filter...hope that's all I need!!! I might get plugs while I'm at it. Thanks for all the help guys!! :)

1988starter
05-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Don't hate me

cdscowboy
05-01-2003, 08:39 PM
I'll try to keep myself in check, 1988. :lol

So I got the filter and spark plugs. The F*&%ing bolts are SO hard to take off!!!! I got the pressure release one undone, but I couldn't get the others off for the life of me... I tried for like an hour and a half...what a pain...those things may as well be all one part!! Needless to say, I didn't get the new one on. I'm gonna take it to Honda tomorrow or another shop. Hopefully they won't rape me on labor.

It was wierd, though. After I reassembled the stock filter and put everything back in it's place, the car started for the first few times, then it just cranked w/o starting. I was thinking it was a clogged filter and it cleared itself whenever I took off the service bolt (to release pressure), then once I started it a couple times, the clog came back or something. Very annoying.

Oh, and yeah... So I thought I could salvage some of the evening by changing my spark plugs. Nope. :rant: My spark plug adapter thing for my rachet set doesn't fit either. Go figure. What a waste of the evening!!!

anchovies
05-01-2003, 11:22 PM
Check your air filter. Take it off and try starting

cdscowboy
05-01-2003, 11:25 PM
I have intake.

I think I might've figured out the temporary trick. If I pump on the gas really hard, the car will start up. Seems to have worked so far, so just as long as it gets me through tonight, I'm cool!!

hatchback_racer
05-02-2003, 02:07 AM
it sounds like the main relay! mine's doing the same thing.

ACCORD EX
05-02-2003, 11:36 AM
pump the gas hard ?? fuel filter - main relay - fuel pump !

MIKE

cdscowboy
05-02-2003, 02:29 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I took my car over to Honda today, and they're gonna switch out the fuel filter and put in a new main relay. Total's gonna be about $150 or so. So not too bad, considering my mom's paying for it :D! I just hope this stuff works... I'll let you know what turns out.

wikkedv15
05-02-2003, 02:55 PM
lol.. um.. all i can say is make sure ur connections are ok..
i thought my starter was fried to shit.. so i took it to auto store..
they tested it
and it was in very good shape..
so i just sanded down the connections to remove all the shit that was on em...
and whala..
like a new starter..

wikkedv15
05-02-2003, 02:56 PM
see this is what happens.. when u choose to not read through the replies.. and such.. oh well im tired..
sorry guys for the unwanted info

cdscowboy
05-02-2003, 09:05 PM
As mentioned above, I got my fuel filter installed along with a new main relay. Good as new!! Thanks for all the help, guys! :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear everythings fixed! :)

cdscowboy
05-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Me too!!! :D