PDA

View Full Version : brakes.... my kingdom for new brakes

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-01-2003, 05:16 AM
i've looked in the how-to. no i don't wanna go with AEM big brakes kit..... yet. I'm only riding on 14s. or is it 15s? haven't payed much attention to my tires since i got new ones. anyway, i'm gonna have to get new brakes, i can feel it. when i hit my brakes they stop, not as well as they used to, but they stop. when i let off i hear this whining sound. do i need to replace brake fluid? could it be moisture on my brakes (kinda doubt it)? what could be the problem.

as far as new brakes go, what brand is the best. like i said, i'm not going with big brake kit yet. limited funds, means i can't go major. need an all around good brake package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. i know i need new rotors, when i have to jump on them quick and hold them hard i can feel and hear the whumping that they do. you know what i mean right? thanks for any help.

-Nolan

stgardner
05-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Since you have an LXi, you've got just about the best basic setup you can get for it. You could do the SEi rear brake conversion, but that's fairly expensive for questionable gains. I suggest that you 1) repalce your pads with Axxis Metal Masters, 2) replace your rotors with good ones from Pep Boys (not the cheapest madi in China ones, but the next ones that go for about $35 each), 3) replace your rubber brake lines with stainless steel braided lines (there are several brands avaliable), 4) replace the brake fluid with any name brand that had the correct DOT number. You'll see the difference.

Go to this line http://www.bira.org/info_main.html

Select Technical Ramblings and read about pad and rotor conditioning and brake fluids.

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-02-2003, 04:11 AM
hey thanks man. i'm gonna do a little cleaning today and run and check out some parts. i'll keep my eyes open.

-Nolan