PDA

View Full Version : whats a complete H.O. engine worth ???

Sean
06-02-2002, 09:51 PM
running a feeler here thanx. what are you willing and capable of purchasing in terms of HP. be fucking honest no pipe dreams here.

PhydeauX
06-03-2002, 12:17 AM
I'd click the rather "build it myself" box if you had one, but I do have one question. What kind of magic would you be doing to an a20a to get 175 hp out of it with what seems to be a stock computer and with out a turbo?

andy

ACCORD EX
06-03-2002, 05:28 AM
isn't there a " BUY ANOTHER CAR " option ! :p :D

MIKE

DarknessRS
06-03-2002, 08:47 AM
H.O. what does that stand for?

Sean
06-03-2002, 06:37 PM
ho = high output

AccordChemist
06-03-2002, 07:16 PM
$2000 for 150hp bolt and go a20a

2 grand for 28 more ponies??

89AccordNate
06-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Uhm, ill choose nothing because you tried to make a turbo run on your accord, and you couldnt do it. Why would we pay you to do that if you cant do it for yourself? You blew motor after motor, we never saw any pics and we never saw any proof...you do have the knowledge, but wheres the proof in the poo pudding.

And, sorry..those prices are insane.

When you throw the pics, the proof, the dyno numbers then MAYBE we can believe it..but until then....your reading out of a chilton all we know.

Nate.

88turboaccord
06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
I know the problem that funstick ran into..... Problem solved, don;t offer much to anyone because MOST are not going to buy it... I have been selling sturt bars for over a year now, you know how many I have sold? SEVEN (7). Yes only seven in over a year.... Nobody will buy stuff that costs more than $50....(well for the most part.) The adj. cam gears that I am having made, I figure it will take about a year to sell FIVE of them, not to mention that I also am having another 9 blanks made.. How long do you think it is going to take me to sell all those?.. What I figure, you can;t be in it for the money, because you really will not make much doing aftermarket stuff... Most succesful shops actually do car repairs, and aftermarket stuff on the side.... Me, I do the parts because I want to see 3geez go somewhere, sure I will make a few bucks along the way, but not enough to support myself. As far as people actually wanting to do motor work, sure you will find a few---that goes for any honda--look, most have a bunch of stickers, and intake and bolt on exhaust and they call it high performance.....GIve me a break....

1988starter
06-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Justin I have notied you made rear strut bars but have you ever considered a front one that is what I have been waiting for.

88turboaccord
06-03-2002, 11:42 PM
I am looking into it... Have to give me a month or so, have alot of projects going..

buish
06-03-2002, 11:54 PM
justin, have you checked into if the rear strut bar fits into a DX. where the seats don't fold down, and a metal bar running vertically in the middle.

ACCORD EX
06-04-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by 88turboaccord
Yes only seven in over a year.... Nobody will buy stuff that costs more than $50....(well for the most part.)

you are difinetly right justin ! less than 50 $ is easier to pay ! :D

MIKE

MoonScryer
06-04-2002, 05:40 AM
You are also going to run into the problem of MOST on this board are somewhere in their younger 20's, or slightly under that. They don't have the money to throw at a good exhaust system or fixing the body dents, let along throwing $2000 down on it for engine improvements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing an engine build-up myself, but for this board, I would focus on something a little on the cheaper end.

HondaSi88
06-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Personally if i was 16,17 living at home my accord would be the fastest thing out there! No bills live at home with Mommy
but that is just me!
justin if u make the front i'll buy one now! Let me know how much and i'll send u the money!

gugumachi
06-05-2002, 06:02 AM
well if i wasn't a 19 year old college student and i had an extra $2000-$2500 laying around, it'd definitely go straight into my engine. maybe in a few years (or later on tonight when i win powerball, mwahaha)

1989 DX R
06-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Yeah, if you can get that working, I might just have 2500$ by the end of this or next month ready to sink into my A20a1 (or will you have the whole crate thing going?)

Inabj2
06-05-2002, 10:05 PM
What kinda turbo setup? Hp? Parts? What is your EXACT procedure for doing this? What parts would you use whats prize for each part. I would be willing to shell serious $$ for a turbo. But. I better get the MAXIMUM performance outta the accord and itd be 2 years before I can afford this.

And what performance would it get me in the 0-60? quarter? Top Speed?

Oh yea stick do you live in the states? Id rather drive to you then ship it. IM REALLY REALLY interested in trubo setup but i dont see that happening till i turn 20 (im 18 now).

Sean
06-06-2002, 02:07 PM
look nate i got sick of the stupid emails and questions that why i laid low no one here has the cash for the work they want done.

and i tried like hell to get the turbos to work on stock engines with no timing or feul mods except for the feul pressure. i couldn;t do it any other way. my plan for these motors is whole engine deal. i ship it you put it in by more or less the aftermarket is going to ask the same question. if you can;t pay for it they wont make it.

you guys are gonna have to start spending money so companies like edelbrock and jg and whoever else makes parts start making parts.

start going to showsd and running at the dragstrip if you see someone with a 3g give them the webadress. they are not going to make parts for 435 people unless everyone buy one.

i wanted to see the interest level there not enough for me to cover the dyno time for development of bolt on parts. as for my car i got sick of it. this time around will be different. i know where i went wrong and what not to do. every engine must have a new ecu so i am working on harness that will adapt the current ecu wiring to a holley ecu. it won;lt be cheap but it will be afective.

figure $150 for the adapting harness. see you later

Inabj2
06-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by funstick
look nate i got sick of the stupid emails and questions that why i laid low no one here has the cash for the work they want done.

Why dont you just make a faq?

HondaSi88
06-06-2002, 06:49 PM
I know alot of people on here don't have alot of money!!! Look we drive 3gen accords not BMW's just kidding!
Im ready to go ahead and put some serouis money and time into this OL car!

1988starter
06-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Their you go justin you make a strut bar for cheaper than dc sports and you allready have two customers.

smufguy
06-09-2002, 08:48 AM
its sensible that we wont put much money into our cars. reason is that its old, cant push it far enough and the other thing is, its FWD. what can u do by putting 200 or 300 horses under your hood for? ur car aint gonna go anywhere with that thing. cause u screw with your hp to weight ratio. or car was not made for the drag strip hell even for autocross. but we make our cars like that, with little money we have, we push it as far as we can go with that. if we had money like that, do u think we would have a 3g hell no. Everyone wants to spend less money, including me and we all expect it to be the best. The problem is, how many years are we gonna have this car with us? max of another 8 or 10 yrs to just show our kids, and then its all gone. but when its here, its worth it. to show all the other asses that this car would kick ass no matter what. We are already proud of ourselves cause we make our own, mesh, clear lenses, custom tails. hell justin even makes his own strurt bars. We are not newbies, we are masters to a certain degree. and if someone asks me have i met pros in real life. They are gonna have www.3geez.com on their hand. I am lucky to have knowledgable guys like you all. :bow:

A20A1
06-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I dunno... I'm willing to fork over a small fortune for my car... i don't like other cars... and I don't want new cars cause I don't want to fiddle with more wires and chips.
I mean if they have cars from the 30's still running around why can a car from the late 80's drive around till 2040 or so... besides the car rusting beyond repair :crying: no... no... noooo... not my bayby :(

:)

CARBurn
06-09-2002, 02:43 PM
I think, no I know our cars are worth the time and effort to enhance their performance. I personally don't want a newer car cuz I don't want a monthly bill. At least with this car it is all mine and my money only goes to:

1) insurance(liability, not full coverage as you are REQUIRED to get with a car you make payments on)

2) Gas

3) Maintenance

4)Modification to the motor, interior, and exterior.

Oh yeah, I voted for the 175 hp modded A20A:D

Afrosheen
06-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Seems like it should be really easy to get a strut tower bar made, I'll throw down for one if anyone can get one fabbed.

guaynabo89
06-09-2002, 05:34 PM
I'm interested in the ecu plan you got going.

How bout a little info on that.(ok how about alot):lol

bass
06-09-2002, 05:47 PM
For over $2000, I would swap in a B20A because that will give you 160 hp, plus you can easily mod it some more. If you are willing to pay that much, don't stick with the A20A.

Jerren
06-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
its sensible that we wont put much money into our cars. reason is that its old, cant push it far enough and the other thing is, its FWD. what can u do by putting 200 or 300 horses under your hood for? ur car aint gonna go anywhere with that thing. cause u screw with your hp to weight ratio. or car was not made for the drag strip hell even for autocross. but we make our cars like that, with little money we have, we push it as far as we can go with that. if we had money like that, do u think we would have a 3g hell no. Everyone wants to spend less money, including me and we all expect it to be the best. The problem is, how many years are we gonna have this car with us? max of another 8 or 10 yrs to just show our kids, and then its all gone. but when its here, its worth it. to show all the other asses that this car would kick ass no matter what. We are already proud of ourselves cause we make our own, mesh, clear lenses, custom tails. hell justin even makes his own strurt bars. We are not newbies, we are masters to a certain degree. and if someone asks me have i met pros in real life. They are gonna have www.3geez.com on their hand. I am lucky to have knowledgable guys like you all. :bow:

so are you saying we should mod our cars or not? lol

and i'm with you bass. if i'm gonna put 3g'z into my car, i would just have to go with the swap. i would like to keep my money within the people here at 3geez.com but nobody is trying to do a complete engine swap. and plus it seems like we are all in disagreement with this whole "build up your engine/swap" subject. its obvious that modding our cars to the max would only get us about 160 hp. the b16 comes with that stock. and the h22 comes with 185-195hp ( i beleive) and we can still mod and get well over 200hp. and if you add nos or a very nice turbo with that, you are looking at about 275 hp. so what the hell is the point of doing up the a20?

Sean
06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
the point of modding the existing engine is to realize a bigger hp per dollar gain. sure the b16 offers more power but you have to change out so many parts to make it fit and youve just got $4500 in getting it in.

now if you take the a20a which is already in yr car and put 2500-3000 into and get the same level of performance than you will get more hp per dollar.

a20a @ $3000/165hp you get $18.18 per hp not really a bad price considering the small block chevy comes in at around $17.50 per hp and parts are everywhere for that bastard.

b16 @ $4500/160hp is $28.12 per HP its not economical at all.

now the turbo is not the best deal or is it ?????

the turbo a20a @ $5000/250hp is $20 per HP and i can keep the driveability at the stock level of comfort only renfocring the lower end and upgrading the valves along with the intercooler.and other nessecity's

so really its more or less what yr willing to spend per hp thats important and the a20a is the best engine dollar per dollar. sure the b16 can be tweaked pretty hard but its gonna cost you more to start with and you will get less performance per dollar spent.

as for rough ididling with a radical cam the feul and timing curves need to be reworked becuase of the lower vacum at idle. it drives the engine itno a part throttle feul curve cuasing it to lope and idel rich.

see you latter.

Inabj2
06-10-2002, 06:57 PM
bass the intersting fact is that the fastest 3gee in this board or at least one of the faster one has an a20 on it. Im personally strongly against engine swaps. I feel that it weakens the potential for 3geez to be modded. If we use integra motors it only encourages for aftermarket companies to make more mods for integra engines. But thats just what I think.

bass
06-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if we had a bunch of 13 second, A20 powered Accords, but I don't think it will happen. People who want to make a fast Honda buy a Civic or Integra because thats where all the aftermarket support is, and they are more lightweight. Like me, I love my Accord but I also have a CRX because it has more potential per dollar.

Inabj2
06-10-2002, 10:46 PM
ill stick with the a20 and turbo it. I know it can be done cuase its been done before.

3genaccord
06-11-2002, 03:40 AM
justin, if you ever get the front and rear strut bars made, consider a pair bought. whenever your ready [email protected] by the way how much will you charge to make a turbo manifold?:smokin:

Sean
06-15-2002, 06:58 AM
sending this topic back to the top.

Jerren
06-15-2002, 08:44 AM
a car with 185 hp with a turbo is more powerful than a car with 120 hp with a turbo. :rolleyes:

1989 DX R
06-15-2002, 01:12 PM
So you get it to 185 hp, then turbo it :bandit:

Jerren
06-15-2002, 03:04 PM
look man. take an engine that is 185 stock. do all the mods that funstick suggested. then turbo. that would be more powerful than an engine that is 120 stock. so what it costs more. its more mods available and more power.