PDA

View Full Version : Front brake problem...

goldyaccord
06-02-2002, 10:26 PM
I have a problem...

I replaced my front brake pads about 7 months ago. Two weeks ago, I replaced my brake shoes. For the last few days, I have been gettin a very audible grinding sound coming from my left front brakes when I step on the brakes at 15 miles an hour or slower. At higher speeds, I don't hear anything.

I took the wheel off to check the pads and they are practically new.

The rotors look fine, but I wouldnt know if they were warped or not. :rolleyes:

any suggestions before I do anything?

Josh

shepherd79
06-03-2002, 03:56 AM
if the rotors are warped you should fell the steering whell shake when you push the break.
i have the same problme with the pads on mine.
i think it is just because they dry, they don't do it when it is raining.

ACCORD EX
06-03-2002, 05:43 AM
sorry but i can't get the sound you mean !?
is it a whistling sound , low pitch , high pitch , or holowing sound ! or else ?

MIKE

smufguy
06-03-2002, 07:53 PM
he said it was like grinding noice mike.

well josh, did u install the brakes yourself or did a mechanic did it? usuaally when they put brake pads on, they use two diff types of grease, one goes on the ball pins that go thru your calipers and hold them in place and the other "antivibrational grease" goes on all contact areas of the pads. if someone missed those areas the vibration sounds that come from the pads vibrating would be like a grinding noise to you. and also see if u spin the hib (car jacked up and in neutral and no tires on) it spins free.

besides these, i have no clue man. hope u find whats wrong.

88turboaccord
06-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Grinding bearings??? hehe.. Well to tell you the truth, I have the same problem on all my cars, so I do not think you are alone.. Just the contact of anything on metal, sometimes it will make a grinding noise, sometimes not........ My 97 accord does it to sometimes...

goldyaccord
06-03-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm such a Dumb ass. Yep, that's right.

I only did an visual inspection with the wheel off. Today I took the tire off again and also loosened the bottome caliper bolt and flipped up the caliper.... Lo and BEHOLD. my inside pad was completely worn to the metal on one half of the pad. thus the edges were grinding on the rotor. The rotor had enough damage from the metal contact so i bought a new one from Car quest. 15$$. ALso i got a set of new pads for the front brake to be even all around.

Drove it around and i have firm feedback from the brakes. No mushy braking. whoo problem solved.

By the way I did the brakes, I dont trust no mechanic to work on the car due to just labor charges for the most part. How would we know how long they worked on the brakes? they may say eh 3 hrs when they really did it in 30 mins. The possible excuse they can use? Ah the front caliper bolt was rusted!!!! and i had to W-40 that sucker!!!

Now that's why I get alittle finicky about having mechs work on the car. I love my manual.

If i can tear down a motor and rebuild it, then i can do anything! But, I still have to learn how.

Anyways, Thanks for the big help!!!!
I really appreciated it.

Josh

guaynabo89
06-04-2002, 03:52 AM
If only your inside pad wore down and not the outside one you might want to look into that. You don't want to end up buying another set of pads for the same reason.