PDA

View Full Version : Look

XBLCanterX
04-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Okay, I want to find out something for sure...

Heres whats going on...
I have a 91 Prelude Si that I drive opposite my 88 accord.
The problem is that it smokes more that my grandpa because the valve guides have been worn. I want new a new head put on instead of replacing the guides, a VTEC head to be exact...the problem is that I dont know if a VTEC head from like a B16 or B18 will fit on my B20A. So who can tell me definatley if it will or not. I have a few VTEC heads I am looking into buying, so I need to know if its possible. Like old one off, VTEC on...no huge mods needed???

Can a VTEC head from a b16 or b18 fit on my 91 Prelude Si's B20A????

Thanks for any replies.

gugumachi
04-30-2002, 12:23 PM
you might want to check out http://ludespeed.com/products/prelude/articles/vtec/
for some info on that

XBLCanterX
04-30-2002, 01:35 PM
the way that page read made it sound like you had to get new pistons and everything...if thats what you have to do then I might as well replace the guides the head I have...damn

MoonScryer
04-30-2002, 06:00 PM
No you don't, but you do have to custom tape cetain of the oil passages. It is similar to the LS/VTEC swap thing.

PhydeauX
04-30-2002, 06:32 PM
It looks like you have to modify the holes for the head bolts a bit too. Looks like its one hell of a project, involving a custom copper headgastet and alot of manipulating of the passages in the head. Maybe you could find a shop that does the ls -> vtec swap it would be feasable, definitely not something to take on yourself, or even have your average machine shop do. I'd get the cams ground and maybe a port polish while you have the head off. If you feel like some bottom end work the b16a pistons and the rods he mentioned (so you can rev the hell out of it) ought to make some serious power out of it.

andy