PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Question

scandalcat1
05-04-2003, 06:39 PM
I was wondering,
After reading a couple of treads regarding the anti-freeze getting past the head gasket and into the oil (My friend is having a similar prob with her civic), how long could a person drive the car like that? Assuming that they were keeping the fluids topped off and all. I was unable to find any past response to this question through the search function.:confused:

Dutchboy
05-04-2003, 06:48 PM
STOP IMMEDIATLY!!!!!!!
and drain the oil and fill it with fresh oil before the water in there #$%@s the engine
Getting any water into the main bearings will be a disaster and if there is water getting into the cyclinders then your going to get water marks and it will ruin the engine....

She will certainly need a rebuild or a new engine if the gasket really is leaking and she continues to drive it.........water in oil is not good....to much in the cyclinders or crankcase and you might see a rod or piston shoot out the engine......

Lester Lugnut
05-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Dutchboy is correct.

Also, if coolant gets into the combustion chamber, the engine could "hydro-lock". Pistons were designed to compress gaseous mixtures. Water is a solid. Undue pressure will be placed on the connected rods and they will bend .

The lower bearings may have already incurred damage, but as Dutchboy said, quit driving the car.