PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Metal

HondaBoy
05-04-2003, 08:16 PM
i dont know if any of yall have used different metal polishes on the trim and emblems and other chrome or polished trim. i bought this mag and aluminium polish to see if i could make the wheels i just bought look newer. i tried it in a small area and it realy works great. these wheels werent taken care of as good as they should have been so they are dull where it was suppost to have a mirror shine. the product im using is Mothers brand Mag & Aluminium Polish. it was something like $5 for a 5oz jar. it was about $7 for the bigger one which i should have bought. it realy worked great on the part i tried it one, but i dont have time to finish the rims this week. maybe on the weekend i can get them all done. ill do some before and after pix too.

Lx-i combo
05-05-2003, 01:57 AM
I don't use it too much on my car, but I use it a lot on the exhaust on my CBR and it works wonders.

HondaBoy
05-08-2003, 08:29 PM
well im gonna do some work on polishing my new rims. they realy need it. i want em to look newer so i guess i will spend some part of the day fixing the dull aluminium.

goldyaccord
05-09-2003, 10:38 AM
I have that stuff. I used it to polish my stainless Dual Muffler on my HB.

HondaBoy
05-17-2003, 11:53 PM
well its the next week after i said i was gonna spend some time polishing my rims. last week end i didnt have time. well 2day was saturday. i got all of them polished up. they look a whole lot better than they did. i wanna get em stripped, and powder coated. but for now, they look nice.

infecto
05-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Best thing to do after cleaning the chrome is to seal them. I saw a nice product that you only had to apply maybe once or twice a year that kept the shine on chrome. Worked really well and wasn't all too expensive. If I could only remember the name.

markmdz89hatch
05-20-2003, 08:55 AM
just use a regular non-abrasive/non-detergent car wax and that should seal them up pretty good. Make sure not to use a polish b/c that's got detergents and abrasives in it, and will not protect as well. My suggestion would be a pure carnuba of some sort. Hell, stick with Mothers and get the Mothers pure carnuba that comes in a shallow cannister. Spread it on there, and use some elbow grease to work it in. Let it haze up a little and wipe it down. Do that like three times and you should be all set for quite some time.

PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS !!!!!!!

crwa
05-20-2003, 09:18 AM
I picked up some turtle wax metal and chrome polish last night, and I plan to do my muffler and window trim, and I might even try it on my hood pins to see if it shines them up as well...

pimp86LX
05-20-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by infecto
Best thing to do after cleaning the chrome is to seal them. I saw a nice product that you only had to apply maybe once or twice a year that kept the shine on chrome. Worked really well and wasn't all too expensive. If I could only remember the name.

heh heh did you see it on 'trucks'?

infecto
05-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah I saw that episode of trucks where he sealed the chrome rims up with that special sealer. I would have to say it is alot different then wax or anything like that because this prevents you from having to buff but only like once or twice a year. Which can be really nice if it the its a detailed chrome piece.