PDA

View Full Version : pics of my homemade box

pimp86LX
05-05-2003, 03:29 AM
lol i didn't go for looks but it does the job.

The guy at the store said $75 for a premade so i told him to eat my ass, bought a sheet of mdf for $10 and...well that is the result

-peace

ohya..that sub sounds amazing. Sony bashers need not reply :P

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/accord/subbox.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/accord/subbox2.jpg

pimp86LX
05-05-2003, 04:59 AM
LOL, I was standing over my box going through some old school music and after about 20min I had to run to the toilet!! ....Can the speaker actually cause that? I did have it pretty cranked up but im not sure. I just could help but laugh afterwards because it reminded me of south park and the brown noise.

"and some have even...shit themselves to death!" ~Kenny lying dead~

Justin86
05-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Sweet I need to work on a custom box for my 15" sub. I want to put in where the spare tire is so that it sits flush with the floor.

BDaccordguy
05-05-2003, 09:24 AM
thats what i did last summer, i built two boxes for my 15's, they don't sound bad at all, but take up nearly the entire trunk.

87DXHatch
05-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Not a bad box... did you seal everything up on the inside with liquid nails or silicone? Make sure you do that, air leaks can make destruction of woofers easy, as well as taint the sound pretty bad.

Yes, low frequency sound at high levels can make you have to go to the bathroom more often... just imagine it as all your insides getting shaken around, getting extra help moving food along.

Justin86, you do know that to make a sub enclosure in the spare wheel well you almost are required to do it with fiberglass, right? Have you worked with fiberglass before? You might want to check out a couple tutorials before you try it...

*edit* you might want to look into carpeting that box, or at least painting it... it adds a lot to it, and takes away some of that "ghetto" look.

Vanilla Sky
05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
yeah paul throw some carpet on it... and the bass will make you shit... trust me... the sub-seat makes EVERYBODY shit!!! everybody that don't know what my sub seat is, it's a love seat with 2 12's in it... i rattle the houses down the street, and it don't sound too bad until i push the amp and it strains

pimp86LX
05-05-2003, 11:42 AM
yeha its all sealed up tight. I used carpentry glue and a whole bunch of 1 1/2" finishing nails. I also ran a bead of silicon all the way around on the inside to seal any leaks caused by my half assed cuts.

btw. how does an air leak kill a sub?

AccordEpicenter
05-05-2003, 07:46 PM
it puts more stress on the spider, cone and surround. Oh yea and it makes it not as loud and can make it sound like crap. IF you want a good seal, use liquid nails in the joints and seams in the box and then sillicone over them. You can sillicone the sub to the box but some manufacturers reccomend against it...

87DXHatch
05-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Well the REASON it does the things AccordEpicenter wrote about is because the seal is gone. In a sealed box, the air behind the sub, in the box, acts like a spring. If that seal is broken, then the sub won't have that spring to keep it from going to far one way or the other. And it makes it sound terrible... but it all depends on the size and position of the air leak. With some, you can get away with it for a while. Others will act fairly quickly on your sub. My friend with the two Adire Audio Shiva's ended up blowing one of them from an air leak after about a month with them.

I very nearly blew my Eclipse doing a demonstration for my Speech class... I had like 500 watts on it, on a bass test song, and I had only screwed it in with 2 screws, for the demonstration... I figured out later that I could have messed it up bad.

AccordEpicenter
05-06-2003, 08:31 PM
lol... one friend of mine had his Audiobahn 1200qs in a ported box and one day he was playing them loud (hes got an Earthquake PHD2 Shredder at 1 ohm, thats 3kw folks) and one of them blew a dustcap but he didnt think it mattered so he kept playing them, and that ended up being a mistake because they have vented pole pieces so he was losing a lot of air thru the missing dustcap because of the pole vent so it ended up shredding both subs' spiders... Little things can be expensive f ups.

pimp86LX
05-07-2003, 02:41 AM
ok i can understand that leak=bad. but then whats goin on(exactly) with the ported enclousers? If its bad to have air moving then how does a ported not kill a sub?? Im con-fuzzed

ohya..and what kinda' covering do you guys think i should throw on there? lol i have some extra shag lyin around but i think i'd just look silly....

pimp86LX
05-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
it puts more stress on the spider, cone and surround. Oh yea and it makes it not as loud and can make it sound like crap. IF you want a good seal, use liquid nails in the joints and seams in the box and then sillicone over them. You can sillicone the sub to the box but some manufacturers reccomend against it...

whats a liquid nail? I assume its some sort of strong adhesive?

jigga89SEi
05-07-2003, 03:24 AM
I want to build a custom box for 3 12"s but I don't know the dimenision I'd need for all three to sound good in one box......I would like to mold it under the rear window deck, between the wheel wells......Any Idea's would help.....I did go to that tutorial page but it really didn't help me figure out the dimensions..........can anyone help..............

BTW.....That box looks like the first one I built... :) hehe....Good job man

shepherd79
05-07-2003, 03:35 AM
nice box. you should rotate sub a little so it is more vertical.

pimp86LX
05-07-2003, 03:53 AM
yeeah i would but i just don't care that much :P this box is purely for function. I'm in the process of building a box thats all purrrdy

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-08-2003, 05:56 AM
quick question..... what is mdf and where can you pick it up? it doesn't sound to expensive either. thanks for the info.

-Nolan

pimp86LX
05-08-2003, 09:27 AM
well if i remember right

it stands for medium density fibre. its like chipboard but with smaller chips. it handles vibrations pretty well. I got 2 sheets of 24"x48" for $10CAN from HOme Depot.

89AccordLXI666
05-15-2003, 04:20 AM
ok about the ported box... you guy's say that air leaks=bad... which I agree with... but ported boxes allows leaks right cuz of the ports... well wouldn't that be bad for the subs as well? What about bandpass boxes? They too have ports in them... would that cause the subs to get messed up or blown? I was thinking bout getting a bandpass box, and put my two 10in Rockford Fosgate XLC subs in a band pass box... would they sound great in a bandpass box? Thanks

pimp86LX
05-15-2003, 05:43 AM
yes that was my question as well.

HVerLX
05-19-2003, 06:17 PM
okay im located in NW Washington State and i am strying to make custom Boxes and stereos heres a example of my car.

http://www.clansonline.com/pics/setup.JPG

87DXHatch
05-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Since no one's answered it, and I forgot you guys even asked it, I'll try to answer the question about ported boxes.

Ported boxes are tuned: The sq. inches of port on the outside (The L X W of the port) and the length of the port are how you tune them.

So you tune for around 30 hz for a good all around tuning frequency, depending on the subwoofer (Subwoofers make BIG differences between tuning frequencys). This will give you an up to 6 db bump right around the tuning frequency (30-36 hz or so, depends on the sub) and then it slowly rolls off the higher up you go.

However, if you play a tone or notes UNDER the tuning frequency, this causes the subwoofer to "unload." Unloading essentially means that the woofer flops around as if it were free-air. Not good. Playing test tones, under tuning frequency, on an over-powered woofer almost always = quick death of that woofer. This is why many subwoofer amps have subsonic filters: they allow you to filter out the notes below your tuning frequency.

Here's an OUTSTANDING tutorial on porting:
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/ports/index.html

JL really nails it there.

An air leak is essentially a port, but because they are so shallow, it is the equivalent of tuning the subwoofer really high. This means that pretty much ANY note you play will be under the tuning frequency, and thus cause the subwoofer to unload, as well as tainting the sound. However, sometimes these leaks are too small to allow enough air to move to cause the subwoofer to actually exceed it's mechanical limits and become damaged.

Hope that helps... if anyone has further questions, post 'em here, email me, or PM me, I'm always willing to help.

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 10:22 PM
MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard.

AccordEpicenter
05-28-2003, 08:20 AM
yeah JL explains it better than anyone ive heard soo far. If you are an spl competitor its usually best to tune the box to about 45hz or the resonant freq of the vehicle, but its not great because you cant play frequencys lower than like 38hz +. My box was tuned to 33hz, and it was nice, it coulda been louder but it played deep and low