PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise, PLEASE

Jdub07
06-03-2002, 08:43 AM
I finally hooked up a working amp and my two 12"s sound awesome!!! But there is a MAJOR problem that I have never seen nor heard of before. When I play a cd.....NOTHING comes out of the 12"s only the door speakers and hatchback speakers play sound?????????????? But they bump like mad when playing the radio. :wtf: could it be? I spent a good three hours getting pissed off because I don't see anything in the wireing that would cause this to happen. I am not a professional installer so maybe I am missing something easy. I hope you guys can help,...i'm so tired of messing with the audio portion of my ride!

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Hmmm that is a weird one.....would have to be something with the H/U, have you tried cleaning the lense? What kind of H/U do you have?

Jdub07
06-03-2002, 09:48 AM
180watt Panasonic. Man this is the second head unit in less than 2 months! I just don't see WHY is plays the cd but wont run through the amp but when the radio plays it WILL run through the amp. ARRRGGGGGGGGGG. Man this is gettin old. I didn't even drive her today because she is gettin on my nerves lately.:burn: I'll try the cleaning disk again but I have my doubts!

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 10:19 AM
you hooked up to the power antenna wire instead of the remote turn on wire (one's blue, ones light blue)

that's your problem

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Itch they call it an amplifier for a reason....all it does is amplify the sound, whether you hook up the power antenna or remote turn on makes no difference, that just turns the amp on. The amp will only play what the H/U sends to it, and everything the H/U sends to it, other than the signal to turn on, is sent through the RCA's. Your suggestion is totally irrelevant.

Jdub07
06-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Yeah,...I don't understand why that would make much of a difference...I am 99.9% sure its hooked up to the memory wire and not the power antena wire anyway. It would take just a min. or two to check but........like TEKNO said its an amp. and is already working when the HU is on radio just not when the HU is on cd. Fuckit I'll check those two wires today I have nothing else to go on at this point.:(

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 01:42 PM
what model panasonic man

Jdub07
06-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
what model panasonic man http://shop.store.yahoo.com/smartwareetc/cqdp101u.html

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Hell I guess the remote wire is worth a shot :confused: But I would think it would be a setting on the H/U, how many RCA pre-outs are on your deck? Damn bro you have a way of coming up with these weird audio problems don't you? lmao

Jerren
06-03-2002, 02:12 PM
that is really odd. i'd just take it to a pro.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 04:03 PM
tekk, let the man who knows what he is saying say what is right...

it is that because if you have it hooked to the power antenna wire, it will only send a signal to turn on the antenna when the RADIO is on

that is why it only works with the radio, and not the CD player

ask somebody that knows... ASK ME, and don't listen to tekknotekk when it comes to audio... he don't know SHIT

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 04:27 PM
makes sense....I have used the power antennae wire on several decks without problems, so I was speaking from experience. Guess I didn't think of it from that point of view, I may not know everything about audio but I do know a thing or two. So Itch (I think ugly was much more appropriate BTW), how about you FUCK OFF and go pop some zits. :lol

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 04:43 PM
but you still must bow down to my experience

oh by the way... i don't have the zit problem anymore... and if anybody should fuck off, it's you, because you doubt everything that i say... even when what i say is correct

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 04:55 PM
That's the problem, you think everything you say is correct. And as far as experience goes, we are talking about audio experience here, not jackin off experience.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 05:01 PM
yes, i know we are talking audio... but you're the one talkin about bein a palm pilot

and i bet when he checks the wiring, he'll find that i was correct

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
06-03-2002, 05:45 PM
That may be....it could possibly work. But for you to say that I don't know shit about audio is absurd.

Vanilla Sky
06-03-2002, 06:51 PM
truce???

Derick

Jdub07
06-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Ummmm fellas there is no need to fight over little ol me. :lol :lol Tekk has given me suggestions before with my sterio not even playing cds.....and was right. Itch I havent' tried checking the wires as of yet but am feeling that and more so hopeing you are right! I send props to the both of you for the help and had a good laugh reading your posts!:D What sort of is pissing me off now is that it WAS professionally installed. So that is why it was soooo confusing to me. You would have thought they knew what they were doing. I can't wait till I get off and check it out. I'll post my results. Thanks guys!

Jdub07
06-04-2002, 09:20 AM
Oh yeah...tekk there are only one set of RCA outs there are no RCA ins or Subwoofer cable.

Jdub07
06-04-2002, 12:29 PM
:D :D switched the amp remote wire from the blue wire (antena) to the blue/white wire (memory wire). Took a good 3 1/2 min. and now she bumps radio and cd and sounds awsome!!! Its about time. I had to pick up a new amp its a vibe or some shit...at least it works. If anyone wants my other amp its brand new 1000watts its called BEAT. 2 channell. The light comes on when you hook it up but for whatever reason sound wont come out of the speakers. Free shipping! First persone with $20 its yours.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Right on man! That is cool that you got it working, with dericks help of course. Maybe that was the same prob that was happening with the other one?

Vanilla Sky
06-04-2002, 06:10 PM
it's a common mistake... it's happened to me a couple times, too, so don't be embarassed

Derick

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Thanks guys for the help! Believe it or not I have one other question. Yesterday it was pretty damn hot here in the Bay Area. I was playing a some music pretty loud. The car had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours. Then out of no where the 12"s stopped working. I was like "shit" not already. So I pull over check all the fuses and they were fine. I touched the amp and that bitch was HOT!!!! So I went home and kept the volume wayyyyy down and the 12"s would come back on. Then if I turn it up the slightest bit they would go off again. This morning on my way to work it was bumpin the whole way and even louder than yesterday and never cut out. Was this because of how hot it was yesterday.....?? If so how do I prevent this in the future? My amp is located in the back of the hatch with plenty of room all around it and the cargo covers the entire hatch, box and amp.

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 08:20 AM
Right on man! That is cool that you got it working, with dericks help of course. Maybe that was the same prob that was happening with the other one?

Hey itch do you think that this could be true? My other amp didn't work with cd OR radio,...but the light DID come on.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Well if the light was coming on it wasn't the same prob.....the reason it was happening with this amp is because unless the radio was on the amp would turn off. On your amp shutting off that is a definite overheating prob, most amps have a built in mechanism that turns them off if they get too hot. Where is your amp mounted, it may help to mount it in a less enclosed area......you could also get an external fan to cool it down.

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Well if the light was coming on it wasn't the same prob.....the reason it was happening with this amp is because unless the radio was on the amp would turn off. On your amp shutting off that is a definite overheating prob, most amps have a built in mechanism that turns them off if they get too hot. Where is your amp mounted, it may help to mount it in a less enclosed area......you could also get an external fan to cool it down.

Its located off to the left in back of the hatch. Just flat on the carpet. I have over a foot of sace above it and its completely sheilded from the sun by the cargo cover,...there is a good 2 1/2 to 3 feet of space to the right of it. Now the cooling fan.....where do I get something like that and how much do they run....also are they made just for amps? Never heard of something like that :huh: how do they work and how do you mount them to cool it off. I have no AC so it gets sooo damn hot in there. For now I am parking in the shade and keeping my back wing windows open. But that can be tuff to do all the time.

Vanilla Sky
06-05-2002, 01:19 PM
try mounting the amp vertically, or try to shade it somehow... the sunlight is creating too much heat for it to handle, so it will cut out on ya... better than blowing your amp anyday

Derick

Vanilla Sky
06-05-2002, 01:22 PM
or if you're really crazy, you can run a coolant line from your engine back... that might help a bit... just have to machine a heatsink that you can use with the system

Derick

TeKKnoTeKK
06-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I would imagine you would be able to find one of those clip on fans at like autozone or checker for pretty cheap, you may need to extend the wire tho. And also make sure if you do get a fan that you get one that uses DC not AC power (ie...don't use one that plugs into the wall) I will also try to think of other ideas.

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 01:42 PM
I would imagine you would be able to find one of those clip on fans at like autozone or checker for pretty cheap, you may need to extend the wire tho. And also make sure if you do get a fan that you get one that uses DC not AC power (ie...don't use one that plugs into the wall) I will also try to think of other ideas.

What powers the fan??? Would I install a switch or how does this work? SOrry if these are stupid questions.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-05-2002, 01:57 PM
It's up to you man....you could wire it to a switch so that it turns on when you want it to, or you could just wire it to your ignition so it turns on then you turn the key. :super:

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 02:14 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm decisions decisions. Either way I think I'll go with the fan option AND try to mount it vertical somehow. Man thanks for all your help,...I may not have gotten as far as I did if it wasn't for TEKKNO and ITCH's help!