PDA

View Full Version : cheap turbo manifold

ryer_s
05-05-2003, 12:07 PM
my right axle was out so i went to replace it and while i was under my car i was just looking around and saw that the were the header and exhaust meet. i was under the assumtion that the header and the exhause meet further back then what it really does. in fact they meet right at the edge of the block. but were they meet is to small of a space for a turbo but not for a bend. you will lose your a/c and power steering, but you can get a 180 pipe bend weld a flange that will meet up with the header and on the other end weld your turbo manifold. have the bend go to the right were the a/c and power steering is and boom that is were your turbo will sit. you will proably have to play with the turbo to make sure that the oil lines will be north to south but that isnt a big deal. and there is your turbo manifold for under a 100 bucks easy. yes you will lose your a/c and power steering and have a LITTLE turbo lag but its a 100 dallor turbo manifold.

theBeline
05-05-2003, 12:28 PM
ok..... no
I would rather have one made, by some one...... with knowledge

ryer_s
05-05-2003, 01:10 PM
lol you say that then i read your mods lol. what ever. its cheap it works and will look clean.

2old_honda
05-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by theBeline
ok..... no
I would rather have one made, by some one...... with knowledge

for like $400? If you have the money thats cool, but ryer_s is talking about a cheap alternitive that you can do yourself.

Justin86
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
I don't care about my A/C to much but I really don't want to loose my power steering. If you caould think of another way it would be awesome. :)

Mike's89AccordLX
05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Yeah I would like to keep the PS if possible.

ryer_s
05-06-2003, 10:28 AM
i havent had the time to check to see if the turbo will run into it. really just depends on how high the bend and turbo is. i have other shit to fix on my car first. but its coming along hopefully next month i will be putting the first part of my turbo setup together.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Sweet take lots of pics too.

Grant2k
05-06-2003, 10:51 AM
you might be able to make more room by using the tiny radiator out of a civic.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Yeah that should make more room and you might not have to remove all that stuff.

ryer_s
05-06-2003, 02:31 PM
ya my main worry is that the bend is going to be to much of an angle. and if it is that will cause tons of port flow lost. it doesnt matter either way with the raditor because the bend has to be to the left or right. because the frame and block gets in the way any other way. like i said i will proably start this next month. due for the fact of money and all the other shit i have to fix on my car.

Grant2k
05-06-2003, 04:43 PM
i think the radiator matters because you need someplace for the intake hose to go. it will probably have a pretty wicked bend in it.

theBeline
05-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Ok ok, so I know I haven't got the balls to back much of anything up right now. But I will...

THE YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!!! *MUAHAHAHAHA* *MUAHAHAHA* *MUA- g2g dinner...

Grant2k
05-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by theBeline
Ok ok, so I know I haven't got the balls to back much of anything up right now. But I will...

THE YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!!! *MUAHAHAHAHA* *MUAHAHAHA* *MUA- g2g dinner...
what are you talking about?

AccordEpicenter
05-06-2003, 08:17 PM
what about getting some steel exaust tubing and a used pacesetter header, cutting the primary tubes about 2 inches from the flange, and weld in your own steel exaust tubing with a turbo flange on it and a wastegate tube too. Then you have the a pipe from the pacesetter and all that that you can modify to get it to work... sounds simple and cheap to me, and if you screw it up... hey its only a pacesetter.

ryer_s
05-07-2003, 05:25 AM
its got to be cast iron. because those headers were never designed to see boost and most likey wont be able to handle the stress from the pressure. theBeline your a dumbass just go back to your bird shit mods. man lst night i messed up bad. i was coming home. i was going a little faster on the access road and some guy cut me off. i was in the middle lane. so i jump to the right lane. then he doesnt check again and jumps into my lane again. the whole time we are going about 50mph everytime he is bearly missing me. but now the last time he cut me off his truck and my car were over lapping each other. so basically he is going to nail me. and my car isnt breaking fast enough. so i was like fuck. i easyied my right tire next to the curb and then use to to throw my car him. it slowed me enough down and i bearly missed him but but my motor is old and i stalled it about 4500 rpm. so i give the guy a normal bird and coast into a parking lot. now my car wont start. at first it sounds like it has a low battary. but after cranking on it for a while the starter can finally speed up the engine enough for it to take off. oil is coming out all over the motor. and know there are about 3 knocks. so my motor is fucked and im looking for another a20.

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2003, 10:36 AM
ok then what about a b16 or somthing else and redrill the bolt holes like the b16 intake manifold or somthing...

89cordlx
05-07-2003, 12:03 PM
hehe, talkin about doing all these mods, then of course the car breaks.

Justin86
05-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Did you get his plates? If you did make him pay for all the damages and then find were he lives and fuck up his truck. LOL

ryer_s
05-07-2003, 10:10 PM
ya my motor took it in the butt bad. i called around and it looks like the going rate is about 400 bucks just for the motor. so i bet i can find it for 300. just sets things back a bit. i dont know if i really want to screw with this motor up or try to keep to build it up for major boost. because im temped just to strap a turbo on it and let it fly for a bit. who knows. i would like to see what gives first on this block. would be cool to watch a motor scatter all over the road at 30 lbs of boost.

A20A1
05-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
what about getting some steel exaust tubing and a used pacesetter header, cutting the primary tubes about 2 inches from the flange, and weld in your own steel exaust tubing with a turbo flange on it and a wastegate tube too. Then you have the a pipe from the pacesetter and all that that you can modify to get it to work... sounds simple and cheap to me, and if you screw it up... hey its only a pacesetter.

To begin with the flange isn't thick enough.

AccordEpicenter
05-08-2003, 10:09 AM
well then what about redrilling a b16 or b18 maybe F22 turbo flange to get it to fit?

ryer_s
05-08-2003, 08:51 PM
that is to much work already im talking about easy

AccordEpicenter
05-08-2003, 09:10 PM
im not worried about the amount of work... i have access to a MIG welder, im going for low cost

2old_honda
05-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
well then what about redrilling a b16 or b18 maybe F22 turbo flange to get it to fit?

ports are not even close

Grant2k
05-09-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by ryer_s
that is to much work already im talking about easy
easy=not done correctly or safely=more trouble than it's worth. just do it the right way and it will be worth it.

AccordEpicenter
05-09-2003, 07:32 AM
what manifolds are close?

ryer_s
05-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Grant2k stfu, you dont know what you are talking about. that idea doesnt apply to everything or anything at that. i havent found any manifolds that even come close to the a20. that is why i want to go that route i was talking about because its the easy and safe. then when i can come up with enough money for my buddy to make me one he will build me one. but right now this manifold isnt going to happen until i get my other motor in my car.

Grant2k
05-09-2003, 12:28 PM
the reason i said that is because you are dealing with turbos and a lot of air under high pressure so things can turn dangerous. i agree that somethings can be done easily but i just think that when you are dealing with something as serious as turbocharging a car you shouldn't try and take the cheap way out. looking back, so many people have been saying stuff in this thread i really don't even know what you were talking about.

if you were refering to AccodEpicenter's idea about redrilling another manifold, i think that's easier than your origional idea even if it doesn't work. i'm not going to argue any more.

and for my own personal knowledge, what does "stfu" mean?

2old_honda
05-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
and for my own personal knowledge, what does "stfu" mean?

Shut The Fuck Up

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Does anyone think $40 is a good price for an A20A1 intake manifold at the junk yard? I have to take it out though. I did notice that the carb was already off of it so really just unbolt it from the head and remove lines. I was going to do the custom manifold for the weber 32/36.

1988starter
05-09-2003, 06:25 PM
That does not sound too bad if it is in good shape.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Alright I just didn't know what they went for. Thanks for the info.

1988starter
05-09-2003, 06:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6770&item=2414178655

AccordEpicenter
05-09-2003, 10:41 PM
what about using a manifold adapter on a 86-87 lxi manifold where it meets the a pipe, like they did on early civics to get the turbos to fit with the stock manifold... what do you think?

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 01:24 AM
lol drilling holes in a manifold and makeing sure the ports line up is easyier then welding a u bend up. uh ok sure. i guess all this turbo stuff is serious. that is the thing in genral you people think its turboing a car is a bigger thing then it really is. all it is doing is cramming more air in a motor. but of course some one is going to say something like oh ya all it will do is blow your motor. well shit i just blew my motor driving so what. you dont see me crying over it just pick up what you have and move on. do research on it and see how simple this serious thing is and try it out. its not hard or out of reach.

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 01:27 AM
that is what i was planning on doing AccordEpicenter. it doesnt seem like it would be all that hard. after you make that u bend you will have to weld straps some were so the stress on the u bend will be on that strap.

gr3k0sLaV
05-10-2003, 08:35 PM
ahhhh! I feel it's worth injecting my views into this ---

cheap turbo manifold = NO!

turbo manifold using stock headers!! !!! no! it's just not workable, (plus i've looked into it)

If your going to turbo do it right or dont bother doing it! do it right, pay more save a lot of headaches and hassles in the long run. Otherwise, do it, fuck your motors, pissfart around, post messages about ideas and false hopes.

I'm getting sick of seeing this stupid turbo posts, considering many are coming from members who've been on here for a decent amount of time and have seen a tirade of these threads over my past year and three months on here.

You want a20a performance? save your money, do some research and do some planning. Otherwise shut up and be happy with the nice car you got.

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 08:38 PM
gr3k0sLaV i dont understand what you are getting at when you say the stock manifold wont do. it has good port flow and is cast iron. so it will handle the stress. for the u bend just to bring the turbo back into the bay instead of under your block will be 1/4 inch cast iron. i dont see how that will blow a motor. if you dont like to see these threads anymore then quit looking at them. its not that hard. and this is the proformance forum so who cares if people want to talk about it. its better then talking about which pully will give more hp or how to install a cam. so stfu. and you must not have had looked real hard because its not a strange idea to use the stock manifold as part of the turbo manifold. lol like im going to stop my project just because you said no. get a life

AccordEpicenter
05-10-2003, 08:51 PM
yeah and just because its a little bigger than most custom manifolds dont mean its bad, im just concerned that the turbo would be laggy. What do yu mean by U bend? I was thinking of being able to use the oem cast iron manifold and make an adapter plate so you could bolt the turbo onto the end of the manifold where the a pipe used to bolt up... was that what you were mentioning?

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 08:56 PM
can do that there isnt enough room under the manifold between the block and frame. already tried to fit a turbo down there i was planning on useing the stock 88 lx-i manifold. it unbolts to the exhaust at close to the frame. so you can use a u bend cast iron and weld the exahaust flange to the header then have the bend to the right and on the other side of the u bend weld the turo flangle so the turbo sits were the a/c unit is at. i dont think it will have much lag at all because i have seen manifolds with a lot of piping on them.

gr3k0sLaV
05-10-2003, 09:03 PM
ryer dude, i've seen it done before. Homemade turbo has done a few of them, but those manifolds were quite different to the a20 ones. Plus the amount of room down there, it just seems quite fiddly, next you need to relocate the O2 sensor, and seal up the hole. Nothing major, still I think you just better off going a properly done turbo manifold, plus using the stock manifold, couldn't it possibly introduce an extra degree of lag? and won't it?
correct me if im wrong but won't it put extra stresses on the stock manifold?

ryer_s
05-10-2003, 09:07 PM
ya it will put mad stress on the manifold but its cast iron and it will handle. it has good port flow because al that happens is it bends down and out. na you wont need to plug up the o2 sensor just keep it were its at. my worry is being able of getting the down pipe to clear the pulleys. which it should. all my buddys have seen it and agreed with me that it will work. i could even have it built right now but i dont want to just because i need to find another motor. but now im getting a good deal on a block crank and head. so now i just need to find my eagle rods and srp pistons. then the motor will be able to handle 20 lbs. but this manifold i wouldnt go above 10 lbs of boost. and if i build the motor im going to get a mean looking manifold built for it.

AccordEpicenter
05-11-2003, 08:23 PM
im not sure about longer manifolds to the turbo. From what i know, it shouldnt affect spooling but it might increase lag, but if youve seen some turboed drag cars, the manifolds are VERY long and seem to give a great power increase with the equal length runners... but im not sure how good a setup like that is on the street.

ryer_s
05-11-2003, 08:31 PM
how long the manifold is will determine your spool up time. how long your charge pipes are will determine your turbo lag. the stock headers ports have good enough flow and having them dump into one pipe then have the pipe do a 180 bend just means the exhaust has to travel that much further to your turbo. it will kill my spool up time a tad but with you putting a small turbo on with smaller fins the lag wont be noticeable or so little you cant blam a lose of a race on it.

Justin86
05-12-2003, 10:18 AM
I think I would still go with custom heads for the turbo. I was thinking about buying the Pacesetter headers and taking those to an exhaust shop and have them cut those to fit the turbo. If that will help save some money for the materials I will do it.

Geronimo
05-12-2003, 12:31 PM
imo i dont think you have to worry about pressure so much as temp. i'm not sure what kind of back pressure a turbo will induce but they do create a hell of a lot of heat hence cast iron or stainless. not saying starting with a pacesetter wont work but it may only last a few weeks before burning thru. also blowing a manifold prolly wont blow the motor think this way developing leaks before hot side of turbo will cause exhaust gases to escape before turbo causing turbine to slow down creating pressure loss not a big deal. anyway id be more concerned about temp than pressure. remember these are just the opinions of an enthusiast not an expert. you never know until you try just be prepared to spend money. more power to you:werd:

Justin86
05-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Yea I just threw out that Pacesetter idea out there. I'm not sure if I need thicker heads for the turbo then what the Pacesetter have. But if it is ok I would think it should save money on the materials. The headers would just have to be cut up and move around to work with the turbo.

Justin86
05-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Well if anybody has any ideas don't be afraid to give them. I know it is a big world out there, but if you stop your self from failingyou also stop you self from succeding.

ryer_s
05-14-2003, 11:17 AM
you becoming a monk now with your ancient wise words justin.

AccordEpicenter
06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
so whats the best way to make a manifold? Im trying to focus on cost and reliability concerns... I have acess to a mig welder, and i was thinking about making a flange out of some flat stock metal, and then welding some primary tubes to it and then bringing them into the flange... lot of work but i could probably make it for less than $100 what do you guys think?

bobafett
06-01-2003, 05:11 PM
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=989